[D7, EA: Along the Walls] Cold Weather for Cold Women

Toshi no Naishou is surrounded by a sturdy stone wall which is regularly patrolled by the city's guards. Occasionally, other samurai will ascend the stairs leading to the wall's walkway, as well, should they wish to enjoy the view of the city and the valley beyond.
Shosuro Chizuru

Re: [D7, EA: Along the Walls] Cold Weather for Cold Women

Post by Shosuro Chizuru »

"Well then I'm happy to disappoint us both on that", she replied. "You are aware people have been going missing, i presume? The Scorpion have noticed, and if it were the nefarious plot of my clan, do you think I would ask you for help? I certainly wouldn't ask Usagi-san, someone else with a bone to pick with my clan, were that the case."
Scorpion Clan ∙ Bushi ∙ Hunter ∙ Tired of Your Crap

Carries: Daisho, Fan, Mask, Pipe, a Knife or two.
Often accompanied by a shikoku called Ki-chan.

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori »

"A spider getting tangled up in its own web, or a snake biting its own tail. When schemes get complex enough, they can intersect most unpleasantly," Kaori said with a resigned shrug. And the last time I myself investigated kidnappings in the province, it was the plot of your clan. Using humans as practice. And putting that practice to use killing my family for daring to uncover the truth."
Crane Clan * Courtier * Elderly * Opinionated * Bitter * Inexplicably Rich
Carries: Extravagant clothing, peace-knotted wakizashi, prayer beads, fan, occasionally a calligraphy kit
Description

Shosuro Chizuru

"And given that knowledge, Doji-sama, how stupid do you think I am to attempt to look for your help in this matter if it truly were some nonsense as you might suspect?" she shook her head. "I am not here to hold anything over you, or to put the Empress' subjects into danger, what has happened I cannot undo, either. What I can do is attempt to move things forward for the better. If you do not believe me, then so be it, but though the Scorpion have taken note, it is not for my clan that I am here as I have tried to explain."

She leaned against the frozen wall of the city to watch the Crane.

"And it isn't for you that I ask for your help either. It isn't even for the snake suspected of being the ring leader of these slavers. No, something else entirely is going on."

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori »

"Terrorizing a populace is not nonsense," she said, pursing her lips and narrowing her eyes instinctively.

"But again, monologues aside. What is it you need?"
Carries: Extravagant clothing, peace-knotted wakizashi, prayer beads, fan, occasionally a calligraphy kit
Description

Shosuro Chizuru

"I don't have proof to show you right now, I can only offer some sincerity on the matter, but know I'm not saying this simply to cause you trouble...but as I've mentioned the missing folk, they are not well. It's widely theorized they're the victims of slave trade, and that an imperial is responsible. Perhaps you know this already, but what you may not know is that one of the candidates to succeed lord Kiharu has a connection to it, perhaps not direct, but one of their vassals is working as a go-between. Why this particular man would need slaves, I have some guesses, but the further I investigate, the more it leads to dark arts forbidden to even people of their status. What I am asking of you, Doji-sama, is to continue working against the Seppun involved in the duel Kasuga Gouro fought. He plays a game he cannot control or understand, and he brings the honor of the Seppun into grave danger."

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori »

"Of course, Scorpion-san, we wouldn't wish for your clan's business interests to have any undue competition." The words came out carefree, but she practically sneered. "They worked so hard in Naishou, after all."

She shook her head, a grim look in her eyes replacing the previous anger once she finally got back to business. "I have aided Shiba-san, Kasuga-san and some others in their investigating, but have received no news on how that concluded. From the sound of it, however, it has not. I am uncertain how I can work against the particular Seppun you speak of, though you can consider me at your disposal in such matters."
Description

Shosuro Chizuru

"The matter of the slavers will never have a resolution. Do you really think the Otomo will live with that shame? No, it will be swept away, people will be chided privately, honestly I'm surprised they haven't demanded my clan take the blame for it."

Her eyes beneath the mask narrowed a bit. "You'll have to look into things, then. He supplies Ujiteru with resources, and I have reason to believe that man practices forbidden sorcery. I'm certain a little digging will show you the truth. This is a Crane province, isn't it? and under the gaze of the Empress, shouldn't it be your clan that reveals these truths, or at least takes advantage of them?"

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori »

"Cheer up, Scorpion-san. You've done well to make sure it's a Crane province in name only, and that no matter what ill befalls Naishou, only the Crane will take the blame for it. Your clan and the Lion, in the meantime, have no effective opposition to their predilections."

"I can make inquiries, but they will be hampered thanks to the efforts of your more rabid black-clad friends. Do you think you can call off the attack dogs for a bit? I'm sure there are several unwitting targets for their dark fantasies. And by now they must be growing a little bored with kicking an old woman while she's down."
Description

Shosuro Chizuru

She rubbed her temples, her pipe wafting smoke into the air.

"Oba-chan, you're killing me here", she said with frustration. "Do you honestly think you are the only one who has lost everything and gained nothing, then be marginalized by your own people?" She snarled. "It angers me to no end what was done to you, but you do not have to believe that."

She let out a breath, a very ragged and tired breath. She'd had such peace just before, what happened? It felt like they'd been talking there for a week. :P

"This isn't about your or me, your clan or mine, about our wasteful self-pity or even our honor. There are mahotsukai in this province and their existence threatens the Throne. They are likely Seppun and Otomo by name. Do you get it now? Do you understand what I am saying? If I am coming to you about this, you must understand why, because I cannot go to my clan about it easily."

She gave her a look, to see if she could comprehend what that last part actually meant. There were Scorpion likely on the list too, if she was brave enough, she might get some satisfaction out of it.

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori »

That brittle smile remained on her face. "I don't need your condescension, Scorpion-chan. There are enough young hatchlings chirping in my ear. If you'd only said what you wanted at the start of all this, we could have gotten straight to the point instead of grandstanding at each other. I don't know how many times I must explain my position to you, but I suppose I must make do with what I have. All for the glory of the Scorpion, eh? Perhaps the moment of heroism can help prop up that precarious tower of self-delusion."

She let out a long, long sigh, breath instantly fogging up in the extreme cold. "Now, are we done here or would you like me to have Doji-shugo put together some sort of banquet in your honor? I believe we can still manage to somehow swing that, provided you're not too hungry."
Description