D11 LE, Poetry recital

When samurai must relax and relieve themselves of their burdens, they may find rest in one of this establishment's seven meeting rooms and enjoy the attentions of the house's skilled artists and performers.
Hida Yoshihime

D11 LE, Poetry recital

Post by Hida Yoshihime »

While Minami had seemed a bit concerned about what she was getting into last time, meeting at a geisha house, Yoshihime found it a place very conducive to creativity and art. Certainly some provincial houses had reputations as being little better than brothels, at least in the pillow books, but most were not so salacious.

So she'd arranged for sake, and two geisha for conversation and poetry. The hour was late, but that was nothing new during court.
Crab * Bushi * Princess * Large * Fashionable * Ever Courteous...but definitely opinionated
Honor: Expected * Status: 3 * Glory 4
Description

Carries: Daisho, fashionable court clothing, fan,

Miya Minami
NPC

Re: D11 LE, Poetry recital

Post by Miya Minami »

Minami blushed slightly as she entered the geisha house for the second time this court. Now Yoshihime had two geisha! Two!

Nevertheless, she bowed as was appropriate.

"Good evening, Hida-san. I hope you've been well since last we spoke." she offered politely.
Imperial • Courtier • NPC
"Oops!"
Honor: Exceptional • Glory: 1.0 • Status: 2.0

Hida Yoshihime

Post by Hida Yoshihime »

The geisha bow in unison, with Yoshihime a bit behind.

"Well enough, Miya-san, though the winter has some darkness to it." She waits while tea is poured, then asks, "Miya-san, I know you have geisha houses in the capitol aplenty, but you're blushing as it I've asked you to exchange fans. Have you never been to one before this winter?"
Crab * Bushi * Princess * Large * Fashionable * Ever Courteous...but definitely opinionated
Description

Miya Minami
NPC

Post by Miya Minami »

Minami shook her head.

"No, Hida-san." she admitted. "Not that my family couldn't afford...uh, the gifts. My father just felt it was a frivolous use of..um...gifts."
"Oops!"

Hida Yoshihime

Post by Hida Yoshihime »

"I suppose when one is in the capitol, and in court, it might be, but...this," she gestures, "is a place where one can drop their on for a time; laugh and simply enjoy a conversation that isn't angling for advantage. Though secrets should still remain secrets, neh?" There were enough rumors of spies who would pose as geisha that some warning made sense.

"For warriors is is a respite and place to have human conversations instead of just orders and reports. Though I know of bushi who also think it's frivolous, or too refined to bother with, so you're not alone."

As the sake is poured, she gestures to the pourer. "Also, it's not a bad place to come learn the graces that will also serve well in court. Look at the elegance in just pouring a drink. Hanamako-san, you've trained here since you were what? Five years old?" The geisha nods apparently unperturbed at being used as a lesson of sorts. Though her training would have made it very hard to tell if she was perturbed, honestly.
Description

Miya Minami
NPC

Post by Miya Minami »

Minami considered that as she sipped her sake.

"But...I mean...people aren't always angling for advantage are they? I talk to people all the time, and they're almost always very friendly. Are things really that hard for people that they need a special place just to...y'know talk?" she said puzzled.

"I mean....you're very friendly, Hida-san. You're don't...uh....constantly look to take advantage of people, right?" she said with all innocence.
"Oops!"

Hida Yoshihime

Post by Hida Yoshihime »

The geisha remain unperturbed--in a 'this is not a life lesson we will be teaching tonight' fashion.

Yoshihime smiles, not unkindly. "Miya-sama, how would you know if I were only being friendly or maneuvering for gain? Maybe over time and many meetings, you could be reasonably sure that I was only...mostly...being friendly out of actual friendship. But, you're a Miya." She begins ticking things off on her fingers as she talks. "Every clan would like to influence where the Emperor's blessing goes. Every clan would like to hear the information you've gathered riding from one end of the Empire to another. No clan wants to anger a member of the Imperial families."

She picks up her sake for a long sip to allow reflection. "And that's just a quick bit off the top of my head for things that would be true of any Miya. If your family's highly placed or something, that's all even more true."

"And they still may just be friendly because you're a sweet person. Maybe they'll do that while still very much aware of all the politics."

"The bee passes on
Greeted by every flower
A gift for a gift"

"The flowers feed the bees, but partly because the bees will help them make seeds. If they were people, are the flowers just being friendly to the bees? It's complicated."

D11 Tutor time: Poetry/Awareness Void for +1k1 TN 20: 5d10o10k4 40
Description

Miya Minami
NPC

Post by Miya Minami »

Minami was really grappling with all the points that the Hida was making...and then suddenly poetry!

11 vs. 20, Fail

"Freshwater fountain
A busy, sweet bee buzzes
after the flower"

Which...was not a good poem. Oh sure, it had the right number of syllables, it included a seasonal reference. But it was utterly bereft of meaning. Nothing was communicated, no emotions came forth.
"Oops!"