D14 EE - Situation normal, for real this time (Open)

This peaceful inn and sake house is home to representatives of the Minor Clan Alliance and those few ronin who are in the city for the Imperial Winter Court.
Tsuruchi Haruto

Re: D14 EE - Situation normal, for real this time (Open)

Post by Tsuruchi Haruto »

Haruto figured a party was a pretty great way to unwind after what had almost assuredly been the most insane two weeks of Haruto's life. He dressed up a little in a fine emerald kimono edged with gold by Winter Court standards it was simply fashionable but for him it was extravagant. He had also taken the tiume to actually do his hair and tidy up his beard. No reason not to go all out for the last night here.

His piercing eyes that matched his kimono surveyed the guests a small smile on his lips as they danced across a certain Hare.
Mantis * Bushi * Bounty Hunter * Survivalist * Confident (maybe even overly so) * Seeker of JUSTICE * Yoriki of Seppun Jinpachi
Honor: Expected * Status: 3.5 * Glory 3.3 * Infamy .1

Carries: Daisho, functional clothing, armor where appropriate, Yumi where allowed

Shosuro Shiitake

Post by Shosuro Shiitake »

Kasuga Garou wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:58 am
This could be an issue - his disdain for the clan was immense.
It took the young man several moments to process everything that Garou had said. It was a lot of information and offers at once. Some sounded wonderful, but the man was a Tortoise. How much of it could really be trusted and was it even for the right reasons? The last thing Shiitake wanted was to be blind-sided, but... those were kind words. Kind words from someone Shiitake didn't quite know in the first place.

Are his words real? Why would he be so kind to me? We've barely spoke and he seemed closer to Chizuru, who was out to get me. Maybe she's just using him as a pawn to continue getting back at me? Likely. Typical of the fucking Scorpion. The thoughts raced through his mind, but he simply smiled politely outwardly.

"I spoke once on compassion in court. About how we were the protectors of those below us. It would be remiss of me if I didn't follow through with my words. It would make me no better than any other Scorpion." And that was something he could not let happen.

"Marriage is... something I have considered occasionally, but it's something I will likely never do. While I don't mind marrying out, I am lackluster in many aspects and so would not wish to cause any issues with my under performing in another clan I am attempting to warm up to." A gentle smile formed on his face. "I will be fine, Kasuga-san. I doubt I will be around the Scorpion clan for too much longer anyway." Whether he meant dying, marrying out, becoming a ronin, or something else was unknown.

A few seconds passed of silence as he tried to gather his thoughts for what he was to say next. "Thank you for the offer, truly, Kasuga-san. It warms my heart to think that you care, but if it is something you can only offer once, then I would suggest you make it to someone you know more closely and is in more of a dire situation than myself." A gentle chuckle made its way past his lips. "Besides, I don't wish for my current state of appearance to color any lens of perception when it comes to things like this."
Scorpion Clan ~ Courtier ~ Shy mushroom ~ Yoriki

Carries/wears: Plain kimono, red fan, wakizashi, a knife!
No kitty after D10. No mask after D9 EM

Kasuga Garou

Post by Kasuga Garou »

Shosuro Shiitake wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:50 pm
"I will be fine, Kasuga-san. I doubt I will be around the Scorpion clan for too much longer anyway."
Listening over Shiitake's words, Garou found a resigned sigh purse his lips.

It was too late - the damn Scorpion had driven someone so new to their number to Seppuku.

Over what? What the hell had they done? Why would they do it?

The thoughts made him weary. Tired. Forlorn.

"This would be the second time I've offered - for politeness' sake, let me offer it the third time. After that, I will bother you no more with this topic - this is supposed to be a happy occasion. Perhaps it is selfish of me to want to make such an offer to make up for those I hurt before I came here - you'll have to forgive me for chasing away the three sins. My offer still stands, though, because I believe it is the right thing to do."
Tortoise Clan | Courtier | Yoriki to Seppun Jinpachi | Hero of the People | Need a hand?
Glory: 4.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: Respectable Enough... | Status: 3.5
Typically found with: Dark yet intricate court attire, a Daisho, an open ear

Shosuro Shiitake

Kasuga Garou wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:12 pm
"This would be the second time I've offered - for politeness' sake, let me offer it the third time. After that, I will bother you no more with this topic - this is supposed to be a happy occasion. Perhaps it is selfish of me to want to make such an offer to make up for those I hurt before I came here - you'll have to forgive me for chasing away the three sins. My offer still stands, though, because I believe it is the right thing to do."
This was perhaps the trickiest situation Shiitake had been put into this entire winter court. On one hand, he had possible freedom in the form of a land turtle, or he had the Scorpion and whatever choices he would make to get away from them. He also felt very wrong about declining this gift, mostly because he knew what a massive insult it was to decline after the third offer, but he wasn't sure that marriage was something that one could use the gift-giving ceremony rules on.

He could also, in a deep, dark part of his mind, use a possible marriage with the Tortoise to only further his own influence and power.

The choices were kind of terrible all in all and so Shiitake took a page from Garou's book and grabbed a cup of sake from one of the hired people and downed it in one go. He'd feel that later, but that was a mess for future Shiitake to clean up.

"Kasuga-san..." There was a short pause before he decided to throw his fate and caution to the wind. What was the worst that could happen? "Then perhaps we do this to help each other? One to help cleanse the troubles of his past and the other to escape a group of soul-sucking people?"

Kasuga Garou

Post by Kasuga Garou »

Shosuro Shiitake wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:37 pm
"Kasuga-san..." There was a short pause before he decided to throw his fate and caution to the wind. What was the worst that could happen? "Then perhaps we do this to help each other? One to help cleanse the troubles of his past and the other to escape a group of soul-sucking people?"
Of course, motive. he should have started with that, shouldn't he?

"Right, I forgot - you probably thought I was trying to use you in some money laundering scheme or something. So what I'm expecting, and perhaps more importantly for you my agenda, is this: You're very skilled, have lots of potential and are very underappreciated. I remember, for example, when you help calmed town Matsu-san and Ide-san; you have a way with words which our clan would love to have in court."

So, what he wanted.

"If you would marry into the clan, I would be recommending you to represent our clan in the courts - not in the Scorpion way, but in a more Crane manner - being an approachable, amiable face. Perhaps the alliance stronghold in Kudo Mura may be where you serve best, or perhaps in one of more Southern facing ventures - I remember you had a lot of time talking with my supposed Yoriki partner Kaiu-san. If our more core duty turns out to be to your liking, I can hardly think of a reason to tell you to shy away."

Then, what he'd give.

"In exchange, besides the protection of the Empress herself and all the benefits that come with being part of the Tortoise clan, we will of course be offering full training, accommodation, and we have stations across the Empire. If there's any clan you can want to safely escape a patch a land, meet you people and interact with all kinds of folks, it's mine. I know you say we're all koku and rice bushels, but trust me when I say it's for a good cause, yeah?"

And why.

"As you know, me and Ryakudatsuha-sama stopped seeing eye to eye once I proved who Ujiteru was. In the process, I caught the attention of another Seppun, Machigaiko-sama," In his head, he wondered if Sempai was more appropriate now, "Who I worked with to investigate the man who sided against me. In so doing, she asked me to meet her in the spring and, most likely, join her services. I am still loyal to my clan, so what I'll truly do is still up in the air, but given the choice between doing nothing while young talent and a decent person practically tell me their last haiku is in the works and helping clear my conscience and making a major profit in the process, who am I to deny such an opportunity?"
Tortoise Clan | Courtier | Yoriki to Seppun Jinpachi | Hero of the People | Need a hand?

Shosuro Shiitake

Kasuga Garou wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:11 pm
Of course, motive. he should have started with that, shouldn't he?
It all just seemed a bit too good to be true. Everything he said would seem to be a win for the both of them and truthfully it was tempting; to have the chance to have a life somewhere else and not have to deal with the soul sucking Scorpions. At the same time... it could be dangerous, especially for what he was now. The last thing he wanted to do was harm others. Still, he could take it one step at a time.

"Ah, no... I didn't expect it to be a money laundering deal. Thought it was actually some cruel prank orchestrated by Chizuru and performed through you if I'm to be honest." He admitted. It was a bit blunt, but at least it wasn't a lie. That much was clear. "I can do what you ask though. I might not be the best at making friends like the Crane, since I was taught... well... how to blackmail people instead, but I've caught onto a few techniques. It would... It would be nice to be able to not have to use underhanded techniques." He tried not to think of how he had inadvertently caused that Crane woman to commit sepukku via his words. He hadn't meant for anyone to die, but he couldn't stop it either.

"This honestly seems a bit too good to be true." He murmured, but maybe it was okay to hope that this was real and would work out. "Who do you have in mind for who I would be marrying anyway? If this was to actually happen, of course."

The mushroom tried not to think of how he had all but sworn off marriage, but a few words and possible hope to get away from the Scorpion had completely changed that.

"And what happened to that Seppun? He just seemed to stop showing up to court one day and I didn't hear anything about him."

Kasuga Garou

Post by Kasuga Garou »

Shosuro Shiitake wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:35 pm
"Who do you have in mind for who I would be marrying anyway? If this was to actually happen, of course."
This, Garou decided, was a sign.

Not that the Kami cared or that the Fortunes were benevolent, no of course not, but a sign nonetheless that he was finally doing right. A slight, albeit goofy grin broke out onto his face - perhaps this was what he meant to be doing.

"Well I do have an eligable older sister who would absolutely adore you, if you don't mind me saying so. Otherwise I remember a few other women looking for a partner within the clan, based more in the Kyuden Kasuga area."

Bastard Lions being snooty about Kasuga women, well fuck you Scorpion! Hold on, had he got that wrong?
"Thought it was actually some cruel prank orchestrated by Chizuru and performed through you if I'm to be honest."
"Chizuru and I aren't as close as you'd think. She thought I thought you two were close, funnily enough. I approached her because I had lost track of Ujiteru and Ryakudatsuha and figured if anyone knew it'd be the Scorpion - turns out I was several times too right to be funny."
Shosuro Shiitake wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:35 pm
"And what happened to that Seppun? He just seemed to stop showing up to court one day and I didn't hear anything about him."
"That is the first question I'm going to ask Seppun-sama, especially as I put in most of the footwork to see him undone. Still,"

He took two cups of sake, offering one to the Scorpion.

"A toast to a new cousin?"

Shosuro Shiitake

Kasuga Garou wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:49 pm
-snip-
The goofy look on his face caused Shiitake to tilt his head to the side curiously as he furrowed his brows. He wasn't too sure what was going through the Tortoises' mind.

"Your... sister?" He looked even more confused, especially since he had spoken about him being adored by her. "How do you know she'd adore me?" Was it the height? It always was the height...

Then Chizuru again. The thought of her caused him to sigh. She was just a mess and a half, through and through. "Odd. I thought she had made her hatred of me rather clear when she spoke of killing me. Was disgusting blatant for a Scorpion and truthfully I'm surprised she didn't meet her end here earlier than she did." That hatred he spoke of earlier started to slip into his voice as he spoke of the gone woman, but he seemed to catch himself and cleared his throat.

"Even odder that an entire Seppun managed to somehow disappear without anyone knowing, especially after that stink he caused over the death of the Otomo. Guess he knew the binds were starting to close in on him, maybe?" He shrugged before taking the cup of sake. "A toast to a new cousin." He said, though his voiced hinted to the fact he wasn't entirely sure. Ebbing on the aire of caution never hurt anyone before.

Kasuga Garou

Post by Kasuga Garou »

Shosuro Shiitake wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:13 pm
"Your... sister?" He looked even more confused, especially since he had spoken about him being adored by her. "How do you know she'd adore me?" Was it the height? It always was the height...
"You seem to have a great sense of your emotions, and your fashion sense is well done never mind the height and - I'm rambling. We can discuss this more in private."
Shosuro Shiitake wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:13 pm
He shrugged before taking the cup of sake. "A toast to a new cousin." He said, though his voiced hinted to the fact he wasn't entirely sure. Ebbing on the aire of caution never hurt anyone before.
Clink.

"It's a big ask to trust a stranger with something like this, so thank you. I'll see to it that it is rewarded."

As he drank, Garou seemed to unwind himself, as if a great weight had unburdened itself from his shoulders.

"Now, how about we say hello to-"
Tsuruchi Haruto wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:54 am
His piercing eyes that matched his kimono surveyed the guests a small smile on his lips as they danced across a certain Hare.
"Haruto! Didn't I tell you to speak to her lord first?" Garou shouted across the room, showing a sense of mirth despite his seeming exasperation.

He invited his cousin-to-be to join him with the other two with a smile.

Shosuro Shiitake

He still didn't seem very sure that his sister would particularly care for him, but didn't say anything about it. If his sibling experience was anything to go off of, he doubted that she would care for her younger brother trying to set her up anyway and would decline it. "In private then." He nodded.

"I can only hope everything turns out well." He murmured before looking over to Haruto and then to Ginhiko.