(D14,EA) From The Wreckage [Streets of the Old Port] (expecting)

Here be the streets and other establishments of the capital city.
Doji Kaori

(D14,EA) From The Wreckage [Streets of the Old Port] (expecting)

Post by Doji Kaori » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:19 pm

Kaori had spent the better part of the noon hours stalking the streets of the port, looking for that blasted "Yasuki" who'd wormed his way into the province's commercial interests. It was ultimately a fruitless search, as the two tired-looking doshin trailing her would be able to attest. She dismissed them, seeing little reason to keep them on this particular trail.

So Kaori stood on the street with her arms folded, looking out at the teeming mass of people, all trying their best to go about their day even with war at their doorstep, wondering who else among them was secretly undermining all of the work to try and rebuild this place.
Crane Clan * Courtier * Adviser * Elderly * Opinionated
Carries: Extravagant clothing, peace-knotted wakizashi, prayer beads, fan, occasionally a calligraphy kit

Hiruma Zoido

Re: (D14,EA) From The Wreckage [Streets of the Old Port] (expecting)

Post by Hiruma Zoido » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:51 pm

He didn't know what he expected to find wandering the port. Where this mission had all began. Dressed in his sturdy clothes, his daisho at his side, Zoido moved through the crowds of the port. His eyes ringed by fatigue still, his movements were slow, beyond relaxed in his pace.

Standing tall, he easily towered over most of the populace, looking about for no one in particular.

It was then that he saw the Doji woman who had been there last night, part of why his 'friend' had left. Yet they were all connected, balancing the elements to stand against the Shadow.

"Doji-sama!" He called over the crowd, waving at first, before making his way to her. "I am sorry to disturb you. I know we were not formally intoduced prior. This one is Hiruma Zoido."
Large - Idealistic - Gullible - Doubly Cursed and Singularly Blessed - Crab Clan - Berserker
Honor: Untrustworthy - Glory: 4.0 - Status 1.0
Carries: Sturdy Clothing (Hiruma Mon, Hida Mon), Daisho, Fan
Danger: Heavy Armor, Tetsubo

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Kaori looked at the Crab and confusion passed over her face for just a second. She quickly recovered her on, however, and bowed deeply.

"Hiruma-san, Fortunes guide your path. This one is Doji Kaori, adviser to Doji-shugo and diplomat of the Crane," she said, still committed to following the proper forms. "It is good to see you well."
Carries: Extravagant clothing, peace-knotted wakizashi, prayer beads, fan, occasionally a calligraphy kit

Hiruma Zoido

Post by Hiruma Zoido » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:27 pm

"And you as well, Doji-sama, the Fortunes be with you." He bowed again, before offering a small smile. "Do you mind if I join you?" He seemed still as jovial as ever, though slightly downtrodden. Understandable considering the events.

From his sleeve, he withdrew a fan. Slightly more ornate than expected from a Crab, but clearly used for cheering someone on at a tournament. A Phoenix with one green eye emblazoned on it.

"I was wondering if you wished to discuss what happened last night, with some discretion." The fan brought over his mouth with trained precision, which seemed quite unorthodox for a warrior of Hida, but second nature to him.
Large - Idealistic - Gullible - Doubly Cursed and Singularly Blessed - Crab Clan - Berserker

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Her voice was cold as she went for her own fan - a tool of court, so rarely used, but she snapped it open in a single violent motion. "About the Scorpion infiltrator in your midst? I'd hoped to find him, truth be told. I aim to see many, many Scorpion dead as a matter of personal revenge, you see. Last night was more eventful for some of us than others."

She shook her head to herself and bowed before looking right at the large Crab, not bothering to hide the sheer fatigue in her eyes. "Apologies, Hiruma-san. It's rude for me to inject family matters into the discussion. Yes, it would be nice to speak on that particular matter with someone else who was there. It certainly... put much in perspective. I had suspected Yas- err, Bayushi-san of subterfuge, but that was borne out of the troubled relationship between the Yasuki and the Crane," she admitted.

Hiruma Zoido

Post by Hiruma Zoido » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:42 pm

"No need to apologize. I can... understand your anger. He... was a very good friend. Despite everything.... I believe he was sincere in his concern for the problems of the province. He would not have been there last night, otherwise." He stood to the Doji's side, standing tall over her.

"And do not be concerned. I wouldn't dare tell anyone of your anger. I may be Crab, but I was raised with how to behave at Court from when I was young." He smiled behind his fan, keeping his gaze upon her.

"I will remain in this province as long as my Lord and duties allow me to. This new adversary will try us all. I hope you know you can count on me."

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:20 pm

"I am glad to hear it, Hiruma-san. Your efforts in the name of justice, and against the greater threats to all of us, have not gone unnoticed. If it hadn't been for this blasted war, the Crane might have offered proper support of such efforts. As it is..." she shook her head, not wanting to voice her understanding of the inevitable.

"I hope can still do my part, though I know not if I can stand to see what will happen here."

Hiruma Zoido

Post by Hiruma Zoido » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:20 am

"I understand, Doji-sama." He nodded, politely filling in the blanks that did not need to be spoken. "Any effort you are able to put in would be helpful. But with duties as they are..." he looked to the citizenry around them as they spoke behind fans.

"These people may pay more than they even know."

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:16 pm

"You might need to speak with someone else on that account, Hiruma-san. I do not think I will be in a position to render aid soon. Whoever is governor, my home is well and truly gone. The Scorpion took a humble, pious province, ripped its soul from it, and turned it into a monstrous, chaotic den of vice, ruining thousands upon thousands of lives, countless pursuits of spiritual truth and enlightenment... and as far as I can tell, for fun. Naishou is gone. The 'Naishou' we will see is simply nothing. And I do not think I have any hope left for its saving."

"If you would permit my advice, Hiruma-san, for standing openly against the Scorpion... oh, even for not being one of them, I will soon find all of my paths toward aiding others blocked by them. Your friend "Kanbei" may have lied to you, but through the dogs who call themselves Bayushi's get is likely the only path to success against the Shadow, or at all. Better to stay away from those who oppose them, for all we will do is hinder your path."

"I only ask that you remember what they did every time you see street gangs menacing simple farmers, taking their livelihoods, their families, everything they know; when you see monasteries wither and die because no pilgrims dare walk the roads anymore for fear of being killed by Scorpion-funded bandits... remember they did this, and remember for all their talk of duty, every fight against the darkness could have been carried out without fomenting war, without destroying thousands of lives."

Hiruma Zoido

Post by Hiruma Zoido » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:20 am

The Hiruma listened, quietly, as the Doji went on. She was right. Why had the Scorpion so infiltrated? What damage would be irreparable? He refused to believe it was a lost cause.

People were better than that. Samurai are better than that. Yet there was evidence that something insidious had been at play. Maybe that something had burrowed into the Underhand of the Emperor.

"No matter what, I would stand on the side of what is right, Doji-sama. I cannot simply watch farmers be hassled, as I cannot stand by and watch a new Enemy rise. And if you feel you cannot hope for a better tomorrow?" He smiled as he looked to her. "Then I guess I will hope for both of us. I'm large enough to shoulder that burden."

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:53 pm

She looked up at the Crab and almost wanted to laugh at the irrepressible positive attitude, but that instinct was quickly tamped down by her desire not to insult him.

"Let us put it this way, Hiruma-san. I doubt my level of hope, or any opinions I have, will matter soon. The Crane have been rendered irrelevant. A pity, but I suppose this was what fate had in store for us all along. We will be made to take all of the blame for the sins of others. This shouldn't affect your ability to vanquish the darkness, successful as you have already been in this. But it will affect my ability to be of any aid in the pursuit," she said matter-of-factly.

"I do wish Hiruma-san had had the opportunity to see Naishou, the true Naishou, before... well, it became whatever it is now. It was an unassuming place, pious and humble, and yet possessed of great beauty." She grew silent for a time as she looked off somewhere in the distance to the north.

Hiruma Zoido

Post by Hiruma Zoido » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:12 pm

He looked off with her, taking in the sight over the horizon. "Tell me about it?" His hands moved behind his back, the fan flicking closed, as he relaxed his posture. "What made this place so special, for you?" Zoido asked, without a hint of irony. Sincerity poured through his words. A slight smile on his lips, as he considered her words, trying to be reassuring.