(D12, EA) Moderation In All Things [Gardens] (expecting)

Places for contemplation and meditation.
Doji Kaori

(D12, EA) Moderation In All Things [Gardens] (expecting)

Post by Doji Kaori » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:32 am

Kaori hadn't forgotten about the operative part of her deal with Seisho - to find a suitable person to help teach him to center himself, and perhaps to conquer some of his personal demons in doing so. At least, enough to dull the issue, without having to live an ascetic life - a life that she doubted he could survive for long. She'd picked out one of the most quiet gardens in the city, located among some of the old less-used shrines near the ruins of the old port. Private and quiet enough, she hoped, to do the job. She'd also invited the young priestess to join, hoping she would make as suitable a teacher as she did a healer. With the sun just past its zenith, she wore a wide-brimmed straw hat to help keep its rays out as she paced the small garden.
Crane Clan * Courtier * Adviser * Elderly * Opinionated
Carries: Extravagant clothing, peace-knotted wakizashi, prayer beads, fan, occasionally a calligraphy kit

Kakita Seisho
NPC

Re: (D12, EA) Moderation In All Things [Gardens] (expecting)

Post by Kakita Seisho » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:57 am

Seisho had drunk a little....just enough to take the edge off travelling the city. The people of the city were boiling over with fear and anger. The sake helped him not cover under his futon, nor grab a spear and charge the Lion camp. Balance...even if the drink did make him a little unsteady.

"Kaori-san, it's good to see you." he said, with a careful bow.

There was a small twinge of Pain. Kaori was suffering too after all, even if she'd managed to bury it deeper.
Crane Clan • Courtier • Karo • NPC (Saibankan)
"I'm going to need another drink to get through this war. Maybe two."

Asahina Hikari

Post by Asahina Hikari » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Kaori was making much use of the nearsighted doctor. Perhaps she was doing something right to garner the Doji's attention. Funny, she hadn't felt that was the case lately. Nevertheless she responded quickly to Kaori's invitation, hurrying to the garden which took her some time to find, she was happy to find how quiet it was. Just as quietly she moved to bowed to Kaori and the other.....Crane was it? She'd see soon enough when she got closer.

"Good afternoon Doji-sama." She squinted to make out the other Crane's mon. "Kakita-sama. This one is Asahina Hikari. It is a pleasure."
Crane Clan • Air Shugenja • Artisan • Doctor • Nearsighted
Glory: 2.4 • Status 1.0 • Honor: Exceptional

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm

"Kakita-sama, Asahina-san is a shugenja and a healer, and one who, in her training, has practiced the art of meditation. I thought she would be a fine instructor in such things. And that I might share the experience of trying to empty my mind of outside concerns for a time as well, so that you don't take on this task alone." She gave a wry smile. "And then maybe we can discuss some... carousing I engaged in in Panchu Mura, in an effort to meet you halfway."
Carries: Extravagant clothing, peace-knotted wakizashi, prayer beads, fan, occasionally a calligraphy kit

Asahina Hikari

Post by Asahina Hikari » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:46 am

Hikari looked at Kaori, think about what to say. Carousing? That was unexpected. But then she thought about it a little more. Had she missed a good time?

"While I wouldn't say Doji-sama was incorrect, perhaps she give some too much credit. I will however help where I can to the best of my ability. I have practiced meditation when trying to clear my head to commune with the kami. The kami don't have to factor in of course."

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:53 am

She nodded. "A most useful ability for speaking with the spirits, I can imagine. The ability to empty oneself of extraneous thoughts must be incredibly useful when dealing with extraordinary things," she said with a knowing look to Seisho. "And one need not retire to the mountains to learn it!" she added with a bit of cheer, trying to make the whole thing sound appealing.

Asahina Hikari

Post by Asahina Hikari » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 am

"Hai Doji-sama. I am not as good at it as perhaps some monks or Dragon are, but as I have said I use meditation to clear my mind quite often. Whether it be for communing with he kami as I mentioned for to center myself before sculpting or some other piece of art."

She nodded, sure of it. "It can be used to just slow oneself down and allow the mind to work freely."

Kakita Seisho
NPC

Post by Kakita Seisho » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am

Seisho nodded...but he didn't look particularly happy about the situation. He also seemed to have a minor headache.

"Alright well, I'll leave myself to you capable instruction then, shall I Asahina-san?"

Asahina Hikari

Post by Asahina Hikari » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:24 pm

"Oh....um....hai. I will do my best to teach you. When would you like to begin?"

She had a habit of finding herself.in over her head quite a bit since coming here, and this time was no different.

Kakita Seisho
NPC

Post by Kakita Seisho » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:47 pm

Seisho winced a bit at Hikari's awkwardness.

"Why don't you start with a demonstration?" he suggested.

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:13 pm

Kaori nodded, still determined to put on a positive face about all of this. "I will be joining in the lesson as well, of course. What will be first, Asahina-san? Breathing exercises? Incense? Chanting?"

Asahina Hikari

Post by Asahina Hikari » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:25 am

"A demonstration. Hai, or course. First we must find a suitable place." She looked around. "This place is quiet enough. Join me over there."

There was a flat spot not too far away. "I think breathing would be a good way to start Doji-sama. Sometimes there is incense as well. Mostly indoors. I think breathing and quiet will do for now. The most important thing to do is to be able to clear your mind."

She slows down her breathing and controls it, much like a swordsman would before a strike.

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Kaori follows eagerly - she thinks to herself that maybe she needs this as much as Seisho does - and works to slow down her breathing and empty her mind. A mind filled to brimming with thoughts, but she tries to stop herself and focus on the breathing alone.

Kakita Seisho
NPC

Post by Kakita Seisho » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:30 pm

Seisho slumped down, and mimicked the pair.

( I know it's past dayflip, but go ahead and give me a Void/Meditation roll from Kaori and Hikari if you'd please)

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Kaori's eyes were closed, she was reasonably sure she was doing the breathing right, and she began to feel some of those concerns from a certain remove... although she couldn't quite separate herself from all of them.

Asahina Hikari

Post by Asahina Hikari » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:44 am

Hikari tired to clear her mind to show them how it's done. Except they wouldn't really be able to see that, just what state she was in. If she looked the part then maybe they would follow suit. For the most part, she doesn't do so bad, despite the pressure of teaching.

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:40 am

Kaori occasionally let one eye open to see how the others were doing. Hmm, maybe that was part of why she wasn't having the easiest time with this? The young priestess seemed to know what she was doing, for which Kaori was certainly grateful; it only made her work harder to empty her mind and focus inward.

Kakita Seisho
NPC

Post by Kakita Seisho » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:51 am

Seisho looked frustrated.

"Not very easy, huh? I mean, we all have alot on our mind with the war and all."

Seisho sighed, and rubbed his neck. He was simply all too aware of the pair's frustrations.

Doji Kaori

Post by Doji Kaori » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:27 pm

"It's not the quickest of fixes, Seisho-sama. It will take work. But it will help," Kaori said with determination, eyes still closed.

Asahina Hikari

Post by Asahina Hikari » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:51 pm

"It gets easier Kakita-sama. I'd be very impressed if you got it flawlessly so early. Keep at it."

She kept her eyes closed, her breathing under control, and her posture the same as she spoke.

"It will help as well. Just not right away. Disciple as in all things."