Before I kill you, Mr. Bond (Saibankan's Q&A)

After the final curtain falls, the masks come off. Come on in to have your questions answered, drop off an epilogue, and wish your fellow players well.
Saibankan
Despair Bear

Before I kill you, Mr. Bond (Saibankan's Q&A)

Post by Saibankan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Hey, what kind of mastermind would I be if I didn't reveal things beforehand?

Bonus points if you format your question as if from within an escapable death trap ;) (But I'll answer them regardless)
GM * Non-Human *Headmaster's of Hope's Peak Academy *Mastermind *Robobear

"There is no shame in dying for nothing. That's why most people die." Henry Winkler

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Re: Before I kill you, Mr. Bond (Saibankan's Q&A)

Post by Saibankan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 pm

The theme for the plays: In honor of Black Scroll, these were the worst movies from Chistopher Walken's filmography on Rotten Tomatoes:

Akihito = Gigli
To My Very Best Friend's Good Fortune = Envy (I laughed every time someone mentioned the word envy when discussing the play)
A Spirited Chase = Kangeroo Jack
Reflections in Meido = Joe Dirt
What the Cat Saw = Nine Lives
Shining Words = The Affair of the Necklace
The Foretold Rise = The Prophecy 3: The Ascent
Pinyin = Domino
That which was given to us = Father Figures
New Blossom Inn = New Rose Hotel

"There is no shame in dying for nothing. That's why most people die." Henry Winkler

Doji Ki

Post by Doji Ki » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Please could I know what the story was behind the bath house 'haunting'?
Crane Clan * Katogama Mon * Courtier * Artist * Daimyo's Daughter * Small * Profile
Equipment: Extravagant clothing and fan, calligraphy kit, paper, wakizashi

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Post by Saibankan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Doji Ki wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:54 pm
Please could I know what the story was behind the bath house 'haunting'?
Let me direct you over to the wise guy's Q&A, as that was his plot :)

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Since no one else has, so far (Maybe because they have the wrong priorities when faced with being dropped into a Volcano): What's the deal with Orino and the six others? I think I have heard by now that, in fact, Orino never impersonated one of the 6 others, and that instead this mini-game basically picked out her replacement. Is that true, and if so, what exactly happened with Orino?

Mind you, it would help if you turned your back for a bit while I fiddle with the manacle....oops :D
Scorpion Clan * Bushi * Handsome * Nerd * Description

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Post by Saibankan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:27 pm

Bayushi Shin'ya wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:16 pm
Since no one else has, so far (Maybe because they have the wrong priorities when faced with being dropped into a Volcano): What's the deal with Orino and the six others? I think I have heard by now that, in fact, Orino never impersonated one of the 6 others, and that instead this mini-game basically picked out her replacement. Is that true, and if so, what exactly happened with Orino?

Mind you, it would help if you turned your back for a bit while I fiddle with the manacle....oops :D
Bonus points for Shin'ya :)

After work, I will post the epilogue with the big reveal but until then:

The real Shosuro Orino is alive.
She did not impersonate any of the six.
She was in the game.

Motives and her identity will be revealed after work :)

Julia

Post by Julia » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Apologies for some of the rusty mistakes (rolling, formatting, etc.) and thank you for your patience. *bows to bear*
Monkey! | Bushi | Amateur Musician | Tough | Curious | Calm Visage | Gaijin Name

Equipment: wakizashi, flute, samisen, chopsticks, mask, sweets, bottle of water
Battle: katana, no-dachi, light armor

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Post by Saibankan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 am

Julia wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:18 pm
Apologies for some of the rusty mistakes (rolling, formatting, etc.) and thank you for your patience. *bows to bear*
Sorry we didn't get you to your family connection that we had picked out.

Bayushi Choudai

Post by Bayushi Choudai » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:11 am

On a scale of The Dude to Walter Sobchak, how fried are you at this point? :mrgreen:
Scorpion Clan * Bushi * Hobbyist Chef * Middle Child * Current Theme Song
Picking up sooooo many new disadvantages when the game ends.
“...nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should.”

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Post by Saibankan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:28 am

Bayushi Choudai wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:11 am
On a scale of The Dude to Walter Sobchak, how fried are you at this point? :mrgreen:
Would you disown me if I've never seen the Big Lebowski? :D

I'm actually not that fried ;) Perhaps I should have pushed the NPCs more. I don't want to overpower player's stories with npc stories. I honestly thought there would be some deeper digging into the governor's game, but I had very few interactions on that front. The yoritomo had a brief exchange with Michie at her event, Daigo had a brief one with the gardener at her event, and Shin'ya towards the end at least talked to the librarian and the merchant. And there were a couple other exchanges with the magistrate and the merchant, but all pretty brief.

To be honest, I'd rather let player's stories shine, and have the npcs on tap to support them, than try and sell the npcs to the pcs. In my book, if you ignore the governor's game and sit all the events out, but you're having a blast running your character in their interactions with other pcs, that's a win to me. However, others read that as being a lazy gm, that I'm here to entertain y'all. *shrug* I've always felt as a gm, that it's my job to provide an environment you can have fun in, not to ensure you have fun.

I did have a lot of fun though. While I did not get to interact as much as I would have liked, this was quite the group of characters. I don't think we had one forgettable character in this group. Even people who didn't get a lot of time in the game were packed with flavor.

But I've definitely scratched the gming itch for now. Next run will likely be Chapter 2. First two weeks of October I'll be on vacation, then there's one last gaming convention for the year, and then the holidays, so I don't suspect that'll be til next year.

I do hope to stay in touch with y'all, except Choudai who will have to be dragged kicking and screaming onto discord it seems ;)

Bayushi Choudai

Post by Bayushi Choudai » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:30 am

Saibankan wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:28 am
I do hope to stay in touch with y'all, except Choudai who will have to be dragged kicking and screaming onto discord it seems ;)
Real-time chat is the devil for someone who lives where I do! :P
Scorpion Clan * Bushi * Hobbyist Chef * Middle Child * Current Theme Song
Picking up sooooo many new disadvantages when the game ends.
“...nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should.”

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Post by Saibankan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:59 am

Epilogue:

After the last guests had left, various members of the Scorpion clan gathered within with Shosuro Acting Academy to discuss the latest production, and make any adjustments that would be needed for the rest of the year.

In one of the courtyards:

“I’m telling you, I’m tired of being the torture eta. I spend most of the day staring at the ground.” said dog.

“Hey, that’s not nearly as having the hang on the wall while people chit-chat.” replied the prisoner. “Plus Michie-san puts a lot of force into those ‘pulled’ punches.”

“Yeah, but you get to beg for all kinds of things: Mercy, vengence, your family. All I get to do is cut off your fake toe. Can’t believe you were so lucky to lose a toe when you were a kid.” dog retorted.

And nearby:

“A whole backstory for why I had a girl’s name, with a redemption arc and a vengeance arc, and not a soul blinked. Talk about wasting my time memorizing all those contingencies.”

Meanwhile, Bayushi Chikuma and her partner were engaged in conversation:

“I really thought I was going to have to get flogged. I can’t believe he proposed marriage like that.” Chikuma told him.

“Told you, you had him charmed. A little danger, a public venue, a chance to play the hero, how could he refuse?” her partner replied.

“Uh-huh,” she replied, unimpressed. “And how well did you predict that whole, ‘Showing him why you don’t edit other people’s artwork and the symbolism of him applying the poison by his own hand?”

“Hey, he may not get art, but he’ll be a great husband. You’re really going to take off out there with him, just watch out for that sister. There’s a reason she’s marrying in.”

At the private baths:

Shosuro Orino and her karo made their way to the baths.

“So now what?” Orino asked.

Harukichi began to wash the grey out of her hair, restoring it’s youthful black.

“Well, you’ll get married to Hisashi-san. You’ll lay in his big strong arms, and pop him out a couple heirs, in good time.” the karo replied.

“You’re not retiring Harukichi are you?” Orino asked.

The karo dabbed a rag in water, and began to remove the wrinkles from her face.

“Oh no, not retire. She’s too useful to you. Age has a certain cachet you know? People really go for that ‘years of experience’ angle rather than listening to what a young girl has to say, no matter how well trained. Though speaking of voice, it’ll be nice to speak without having to give myself a coughing fit everyday to maintain that gravelly voice.” the karo explained.

“So what will you do then?” Orino asked.

“Oh, I’ll explore the Empire for a little while. Since you won’t be using it, I can take the name Shosuro Shizu. Even if I run into that Kitsuki trained Mirumoto, I’m sure I can convince him that I’m the real Shosuro Shizu. Fortunes, running will be nice again. Do you know how annoying it is to have to shuffle everywhere, and bow like you might not get back up again?”

“And then you’ll come back?” Orino asked.

“Oh, in good time. Hisashi-san’s not bad..for a Matsu. But I’m sure I can find someone clever enough to be worthy of the Shosuro name. I’ll arrange a liason, hopefully around the same time you get with child, although a year or so apart will make little enough difference. I’ll get back, switch the kids, and take up the mantle of karo once more.”

“Are you sure we can pull this off?” Orino asked.

“Definitely. You’ll live a life of luxury, with a husband who believes his honor is more than a match for Scorpion trickery, and you’ll have me working behind the scenes to make sure your rule is a prosperous one. An old karo to make sure your court runs smoothly, and a able shadow for when you need a little field work done. Relax, Shosuro Orino is literally going to be the role of a lifetime for you.”

The two women chatted awhile longer while they bathed, and then Shosuro Orino and Shosuro Shizu left the baths.

Tokagure Hanaru

Post by Tokagure Hanaru » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 am

I now regret not throwing some points at Harukichi . She was my second choice, from the standpoint of "well, she seems like she'd be competent."

Before I die, did Hanaru's recommendation regarding helpful servants help or harm their future prospects? Assuming any of them were actual servants.
Scorpion Clan * Gardener * Local

Description

Carries: Wakisashi, garden tools, incense

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Post by Saibankan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:18 am

Tokagure Hanaru wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 am
I now regret not throwing some points at Harukichi . She was my second choice, from the standpoint of "well, she seems like she'd be competent."

Before I die, did Hanaru's recommendation regarding helpful servants help or harm their future prospects? Assuming any of them were actual servants.
*ponders*

Ohhh, right, them :)

No, those are actual servants. Observant and loyal servants? Definitely have a place in the governor's household. It would have been interested had anyone thought to question them. They wouldn't be terribly convincing liars, instead pleading with the investigators to not force them to put their family's at risk. Would have been a very fun scene, but late game plot developments paired with burnout.

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:44 am

I suppose the person telling Oharu that story was just Sayaka's sworn enemy? Also did anything surprise you during the game?
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Earth • Bad Reputation: Eccentric • Dangerous Beauty • Inexperienced Version
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.3 • Infamy: 1.5 • Honour: Untrustworthy

Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi, satchel, fan, sake cup, some coins, Yogo Sayaka's fan

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Post by Saibankan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:44 am
I suppose the person telling Oharu that story was just Sayaka's sworn enemy? Also did anything surprise you during the game?
Her sworn enemy's ally actually. We had this whole fun revenge story plotted out rather than the usual "Hi! I show up and stab you!" But, then Sayaka kinda dropped in the middle of the game, and when she resurfaced it was at minimal posting (None of which I blame Sayaka for, rl no oni is a beast and we appreciate all participation). Storywise, the most likely target for the enemy's assassination attempt would have been Kuni Oharu, but I was just kind of like...naaaaah, we'll go with "Sayaka did not find love here due to their efforts, that's good enough for now."

Probably the most surprise was the Crane twins throwing themselves at saving Chikuma. I rather expected to get to beat Chikuma, while generating some ooc tears, not offers to be a whipping boy and a marriage proposal. Given that both the twins had to spend a void point to overcome insensitive, I don't think my surprise is that surprising ;)

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 pm

Oharu as a target might be appropriate as I think Sayaka might have been indirectly crushing on her during the game. Also, Oharu tried to follow up on the sworn enemy, although she got mixed up on the white masks...and it brought her to the bath house, which has her wondering if it was the same person who was murdered or identities were switched along the way.
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Earth • Bad Reputation: Eccentric • Dangerous Beauty • Inexperienced Version
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.3 • Infamy: 1.5 • Honour: Untrustworthy

Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi, satchel, fan, sake cup, some coins, Yogo Sayaka's fan

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Post by Saibankan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 pm
Oharu as a target might be appropriate as I think Sayaka might have been indirectly crushing on her during the game. Also, Oharu tried to follow up on the sworn enemy, although she got mixed up on the white masks...and it brought her to the bath house, which has her wondering if it was the same person who was murdered or identities were switched along the way.
Well I wasn't coming to assassinate you over your bar tab ;) She was being watched, and you and Tamori Shaizhen were, I believe, the closest to her in the early game.

But I was amused with three different plotlines colliding and getting confused with the white mask :D

Daidoji Nagori

Post by Daidoji Nagori » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:09 am

Saibankan wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:12 pm
Hey, what kind of mastermind would I be if I didn't reveal things beforehand?

Bonus points if you format your question as if from within an escapable death trap ;) (But I'll answer them regardless)

I just had to :lol: