[D7LA, Eta Village] Hot Cops

The wide, seemingly endless plains of the Kawa Province are filled with rice paddies, grain fields, and places to lose oneself...or to become lost.
Kuni Oharu

Re: [D7LA, Eta Village] Hot Cops

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Oharu gave herself a quick look over, perhaps trying to see what Daigo had noticed that she missed herself. "Eh? Oh, I guess I do! Heee, maybe-probably it's because I don't have too much to bring with me. We kind have to travel light on the Wall, but that's also because our barracks are really-really close by. I'm hoping to have more stuff...slowly. I have more room in Sunda Mizu Mura. I was thinking about buying a new-new kimono here-here, maybe-probably some dolls, those were pretty cute!"
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Earth • Bad Reputation: Eccentric • Dangerous Beauty • Inexperienced Version
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.3 • Infamy: 1.5 • Honour: Untrustworthy

Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi, satchel, fan, sake cup, some coins, Yogo Sayaka's fan

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Daigo continued to study her as they walked, almost back to the city now. It seemed to be something he was doing automatically, as natural to him as breathing. "Huh. I suppose that makes sense." He hesitated a moment, his brows drawing down. "Ummm... what's it like? I know." He grimaced. "It's not really something people are supposed to talk about. But I've found that I won't get answers unless I ask questions."

But, before that, he was thrown off by something else. "Wait, dolls?" He gave her a double-take. "What dolls are you talking about, Kuni-san?"
Dragon Clan • Investigator • Permanent Wound • It's Medicinal, Really
Carries: Wakizashi, calligraphy kit, notebook
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:57 am

"You mean the Wall. We are allowed to talk-talk about it, it's just that most people don't like it in polite conversation," she tilted with an exaggerated roll of her eyes, thinking that was a particularly dumb fact of life in Rokugan. "I suppose it's a lot of things that I can't explain in one sitting. It's dangerous, that's obvious-obvious, the sort of insidious danger that creep-creeps up on your without warning. The Wall commanders keep us on regimented shifts and routines, so that we're always ready and fresh to face any threats. I hear it's like being the front of a war zone but the enemy never-never shows up on any schedule."

"Most of the time, it's staring at a desert wasteland and nothing happening. But when things get tough, it gets really-really tough. Goblins are easy-easy but they come in swarms. Yet get an advantage on you the moment you take them for granted and sometimes even worm through the traps. Then, there's also oni...you can throw a squad of Hida on them and they might not even flint without jade to damage them. They tend to do a lot of damage before we can get on top of them..." She nodded grimly on that note. "Buuut that's more about the threats we face. Long-long story, short-short: Life on the Wall is hard-hard but thankfully we help-help each other so it's less hard-hard, when people are still standing, at least!"

"Hai-hai...like the pretty dolls in the market..." She smiled abashedly at her guilty pleasure. "I guess they're supposed to be for little-little girls but I think they're cute."
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Earth • Bad Reputation: Eccentric • Dangerous Beauty • Inexperienced Version

Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi, satchel, fan, sake cup, some coins, Yogo Sayaka's fan

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:18 am

Daigo listened as Oharu spoke. His expression was thoughtful, as usual, but his grey eyes were interested, especially as she described some of the nastier bits. "It sounds like you had your share of that." He said, his tone almost wistful. "You've helped to fight an oni, I take it?"

He sighed. "I wonder if I'd have been doing a bit of that sort of thing. The Dragon have had their troubles after the Rain of Blood. There's a lot of places to hide up in the mountains. Luckily, we're good at seeking." He smirked, just a little. "I would have been a full Mirumoto bushi about two years ago, but one incompletely healed spinal fracture is enough to get you sent elsewhere." He chuckled darkly.

He regarded her with amused eyes and pursed lips as she shared her secret pleasure. "So... Kuni Oharu likes dolls... interesting." He said. After a moment, he grinned. "I like learning those little things about people. It's like filling in more of a puzzle. And everyone's got a few."

As they walked along, he leaned closer, one hand coming up to shield his mouth conspiratorially. "Mine's mystery novels." He whispered. "Picked up the habit when I got injured, and found out I'd join the Kitsuki. Now, I don't think there's one I haven't read, and the worse they are, the more I like 'em."
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:33 am

"Hai-hai," Oharu nodded easily enough like it was something normal. "Jade strikes tend to do the trick and hits fast-faster than a Hida fumbling through his jade paste. I recall your friend, Tamori Shai-zhen mentioned that he was part of that effort, going through the mountains with bushi to sort thing out there. Even after a few-couple years, we're still dealing with it...It's unfortunate that it infected people, as they are the hard-hardest threat to deal with."

"Mrm," she murmured in acknowledgement about this spinal fracture. "I think you're doing well where you are, Mirumoto-san."

"Well...Hai-hai. It's not that strange-strange, really-really. Dolls are just a part of Kuni culture and I'd like to think that I can make a hobby of it. It's no different than arranging flowers and collecting combs, ne-ne?"

Her eyes lit up at the mention of mystery novels. "Oh! You too? I like reading those! I guess it's probably-maybe the reason I get all these strange-strange ideas sometimes, to consider all the possibilities and angles. A favourite of mine is Agasha Kimiko, the detective shugenja who uses the Kitsuki method too? She goes on all these adventures and ends up solving a crime?" She tilted her head slightly to see if it rang any bells.

Description

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:11 am

Daigo nodded. "Yeah, he and I talked about that a bit during our drinking night. Had some interesting discussion about the nature of evil. You know, the usual drinking stuff."

He flashed a quick smile, both at the joke, and acknowledgement of her acknowledgement. "Thanks, Kuni-san." He said, his tone just a little gruff.

Well, with that acknowledged, he certainly wasn't going to tease her about the dolls. And she was right, after all. Besides... Daigo stopped, turning to face her, his eyes lighting up to match hers. "Of course I've read those. They're great!" He gave her nod. "I think the best bit is the arc where she has to pretend to be a ronin. The different viewpoint presented is really interesting."

He smirked. "But, like I said, I like the bad ones, too. Did you read 'The Adventures of Togashi Kenshiro', who could kill criminals with his bare hands, and had a tattoo that let him see the darkness in the souls of men?" He winced in embarrassed memory.
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:58 pm

"Was that before or after the tell-telling of tall tails?" She questioned on a mirthful note in tease, all the words of her sentence was intentional.

"Hai-hai! Hmm...Which time? Was that during Agasha Kimiko and the Mirror Mountain or Agasha Kimiko and the Bandit Lord? I guess it also happened during Agasha Kimiko and the Stained Hairpin for a chapter or two. She seems to go into disguises every other story that you'd swear-swear she was a Shosuro..."

"Noooo, I don't think we get those around the Crab lands." She said, confused at first but then her interest grew. "But that sounds pretty interesting and I think it would be totally something-something I would read! Sometimes the bad-bad ones are the best-best ones!"

Description

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:53 pm

"Oh..." Daigo flashed Oharu a quick smirk, responding to that teasing note in her voice. "After, of course. It's like with drinking sake. You want to start with the good stuff while you can still appreciate it."

"Hmmm..." Daigo smiled as he considered. "Hard to choose. I think maybe I preferred Agasha Kimiko and the Bandit Lord. It had the great action scene." He nodded. "But you're right. They do use a lot of disguises. I appreciate that more since coming here." Chuckling, he flicked at his school mons. "Maybe I'd have gotten more straight answers if it weren't for these."

Hearing that, Daigo gave her a sly smile. "Sounds like you and I agree on something else, then. And, it just so happens, I might have brought one of them along. If someone wanted to give it a look."
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 pm

"Oh, hai-hai! It was a pretty wicked horse chase sense near the end!" She nodded wholeheartedly at that. "We really-really should have taken a page out of Agasha Kimiko and considered disguises too. I mean, would anyone blame us if we decided to be like the locals? It's no wonder why we've been having so much trouble-trouble with some parts of our investigation. Then again, it'd be really-really bad-bad if we were caught too. Agasha Kimiko never gets caught!"

"Obviously, I will be more willing to take a looking-look at the book! I wish I brought some with me to exchange. Mm, might be late-late to do too much reading now."

Description

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:25 pm

"Maybe." Daigo said, his eyes narrowing. "It's hard to walk the walk when you can't talk the talk. Or the other way around. I don't know if I could act enough like a local to fool anyone." He smirked. "Agasha Kimiko got pretty lucky sometimes. And she might have been better at disguise than I am."

Daigo nodded. "Sure. I'll try to remember it next time we're meeting up." He shrugged. "Or just swing by sometime. I'm not hard to find." He remembered the incident with Shizue. "Evening's probably better."

"In the meantime..." Daigo sighed. "We should get cleansed." The city gates were just a little bit farther. He looked at Oharu, a concerned look on his face. "Ummm... do you think this'll have to be destroyed? I hope not. I kinda like it." He gave the kite under his arm a little shake. He'd actually done a fairly good job of it; yellow eyes and layered greens made it look like a fair approximation of a dragon.
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 pm

"Well, ronin is a pretty easy-easy role. Especially, when you can keep your head down and talk-talk to no one. How would a Scorpion go about things? I guess it's maybe-probably to do it convincingly and easy-easier to overdo it." With that, she swung her hair to do something of a hair flip, which is something she imagined that a Scorpion seductress would probably do if she wanted to pretend to be "Scorpion-y". It probably did a better job to scatting her hair everywhere than achieve the effect in her mind.

She blew some hair out of her face and quickly tried to shake her hair back into place. "It's probably-maybe not that easy-easy doing that...Heee..."

"Hai-hai! I'll grab the book from you next time! I don't think you need to destroy the fan, it's not like you used it to poke-poke around a whole body. You should be good-good! That's a pretty cute fan," she said as she looked down with a few nods of approval. "If you want, we can even spar one day!"

Description

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:54 pm

"Yeah." Daigo nodded. "That makes sense..." He watched, grey eyes blinking, as Oharu surrounded herself with a cloud of black hair. He couldn't help but chuckle at the display. "It's a bit harder than it looks, huh? I don't think I've quite mastered the sultry Bayushi man-stare, myself."

Still, there was definitely some playfulness to the sidelong glance he gave her. "Besides, when I said you were gorgeous before, you weren't doing anything like that."

Daigo chuckled. "Thanks. And that's a relief." He held up the kite so she could get a better look for a few moments before tucking it back under his arm. He gave her a smirk. "And sure. I'll take you on. Me and my kite here. We'll just add it to the list of things we're gonna do once this case is over." Or until it was time to go, he supposed.
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:59 am

Oharu giggled at Daigo's compliment and tilted her head in a few quick bows. "Hai-hai and thank you...that you have. Eh, I guess I do wonder if I could be more seductive if I actually try-tried. But I think I'll probably-maybe leave the Scorpion to do their Scorpion-ing. It seems they have plenty to go around that they might even share-share." That potentially fake eta from some time ago who could be one of their potential agents was a good example.

She gave a shrug, there were no strict obligations implied. "Heee, it's a lot by now. Maybe-probably we'll just have to see each other sometime again this lifetime. I don't know if I'll be up-up north in the Dragon lands, we'll just have to meet halfway, ne-ne?"

Description

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:41 am

Daigo's grey eyes glinted appreciatively at that giggle. "You probably could if you practiced it. It's a skill like any other, and I won't deny the Scorpion are pretty good at it." He smile ruefully. "I know Sayaka made me feel a bit weak in the knees when she fluttered her eyelashes at me." He looked back at Oharu, his smile playful once more. "Of course, that's the Scorpion. Everyone's got their moves. Makes me wonder what your best move is." He did appreciate her smirk...

"Yeah." Daigo smiled and shrugged, glancing off. "Sure. That sounds great." It did sound kinda fun, actually. After a moment, he shrugged again. "I'm hoping for more chances to travel, myself. I'll probably get them too. Especially if I do end up a magistrate some day. That's my goal, you know."
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:47 am

Oharu looked off coyly for a moment. "Well...I tend to be able to smack goblins in the head fairly consistently with jade strikes on the Wall. But seeing as their heads are big-larger than their bodies by a bit, it's not a move that I do better-best than anyone else, really-really..."

"But, I know you're not asking about those sort-type of moves, probably-maybe," she said before giving a quick, almost suggestive, waggle of her brows.

She tilted her head slightly. "Ooooh? I guess that's one way to travel lots. Are we talk-talking about being an Imperial magistrate or a Clan magistrate? My mom did lots of travelling when she served the Imperials, briefly-briefly. Crossing borders is a requirement and a privilege!"

Description

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:05 am

Daigo snorted, watching with a smile as Oharu briefly pretended to misunderstand. "Hey, don't get me wrong. I did train to be a bushi, after all. I respect goblin-smacking moves as much as the next samurai."

He met her waggle with a smirk. "But no. Those weren't the moves I was asking about." He let that hang there for a moment, his eyes on hers.

Shaking his head, he let it go. For now. "Mmm..." Daigo said. "I'd do either, really. But I think I'd prefer Imperial, just for that reason. There's a lot out there to see." He grinned. "Besides Agasha Kimiko got to go pretty much everywhere, didn't she?"

He gave her another of his curious, narrowed-eyed looks. "You said your mom served the Imperials briefly? How?" His eyes narrowed further. "Taint consultant?" It was a guess; maybe a good one for a Kuni.
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:38 am

"Being an Imperial Magistrate is pretty nice but I bet everyone has an eye on that too. It's not an easy-easy appointment, that's for sure!" She nodded and smirked. "Hai-hai, but I don't think it's because she was an Imperial Magistrates. It was usually because she had an aunt in the city...or it was an uncle's friend...or her cousin invited her over. She had important family everywhere, apparently. That sort-type of life sounds pretty exciting but I bet it would be tiresome if it happened to someone in real-real life. Maybe-probably even a curse!"

"A Jade Magistrate, hai-hai," she nodded proudly. "Then she did the family thing. I guess she might keep in touch with them from time to time."

Description

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:04 am

"Yeah, well..." Daigo smirked confidently, his eyes narrowing. "I'll just have to be the best, won't I?" He chuckled. "After all, I don't have family all over the place."

"Oh, you mean a Witch Hunter?" He nodded, half-understanding, half-sympathy. "I'd guess that's always busy. But I'll bet it's been even more busy these last few years, with the rain of blood. Normally you only expect the trouble to come from one direction, I bet."

He tilted his head, regarding her with a smile. "Is that the future for Kuni Oharu, too?"
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:05 pm

(OOC: Hm...are Jade magistrates not a thing in this setting?)

"Hm, not quite that. Witch hunters are something else, this is more law orientate, I guess!" She nodded twice, sounding right to her.

"Maybe-probably!" she said in regards to her future. "I haven't really-really considered it. For a while, I thought I'd be doing the Wall thing forever-forever but that kinda-sorta changed recently when they moved me to the city to be around people more. It seems like a natural path to take. It won't be easy-easy as you have to find-find a magistrate to take you in as a yoriki."

Description

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:16 am

"Ah, of course." Daigo said. His expression turned thoughtful. Had starting a family meant the end of her mother's career as a Jade Magistrate? That was certainly food for thought, and he wasn't sure if he liked the taste.

"Yeah." Daigo grimaced. "I suppose I'm going to have to worry about that myself, sooner or later." He looked over at Oharu, giving her a firm nod. "For what it's worth, it's been a pleasure working with you, Kuni-san. Who knows?" He smirked. "Maybe we'll get another chance someday."

They'd wound their way through the city, finally arriving at the temple. Still smirking, Daigo bowed, gesturing with his arm. "After you?"
Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:15 am

Starting a family usually didn't mean the end of a career typically! Although, that seemed to be the case with Oharu's mother.

"Well, I hope this isn't a dead end yet...I'm sure there a few-couple angle that deserves investigating," she said looking to Daigo, hoping he would have some because she was stumped! However, it seemed they had some general spiritual yuckiness they needed to wash away from hanging out at an eta village and a dead body first.

"Hai-hai! Thank you," she chuckled as she went up the steps with a successive beat.

Description

Mirumoto Daigo

Post by Mirumoto Daigo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:34 am

"Yeah..." Daigo shook his head. "I'd hoped for more from this. We got something, but it just gives us more questions, not less. I was hoping to close the gap a little."

He gave her a wry smile. "Don't worry, though. I'm not done yet. Let's meet tomorrow for breakfast. But not where we're staying. I'll fill you in."

He watched as she went quickly up the steps. Shaking his head with a smile, he followed at a more leisurely pace.

/fadetopurification
Description