D8EE, That Which Was Given to Us (Kabuki)

This is a solidly traditional theatre, save only for the mist depicted surrounding the traditional pine tree featured on the panel at the back of the stage. Though designed primarily for noh performances, it can easily be reconfigured to accommodate kabuki.
Fukurokujin
Wise Guy

D8EE, That Which Was Given to Us (Kabuki)

Post by Fukurokujin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:35 pm

As they have, and as they likely always will, the doors to the Theatre open to admit its audience.
Naishou GM Team

Bayushi Choudai

Re: D8EE, That Which Was Given to Us (Kabuki)

Post by Bayushi Choudai » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:10 pm

And as usual, Choudai put in an appearance.
Scorpion Clan * Bushi * Hobbyist Chef * Middle Child * Current Theme Song
Picking up sooooo many new disadvantages when the game ends.
“...nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should.”

Shosuro Hotaka
NPC

Post by Shosuro Hotaka » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:09 pm

The local writer, likewise, is in attendance, accompanied by his yojimbo. The frenzied writing that consumed him yesterday seems to have subsided, and he's in much better spirits now than he's been in quite some time.
Scorpion Clan • Artisan • Courtier • NPC • Inexperienced SoN
"Pass me another bottle, would you?"
Honor: Untrustworthy, Glory: 2.0, Status: 2.0

Bayushi Koga
NPC

Post by Bayushi Koga » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Koga attends, as well, with a woman on each arm.

"And then, the Mantis's hakama fell off!"

They laugh as they take their seats.

(PM Fukurokujin if you want to talk to the old man.)
Choudai's Uncle * That Uncle * Old
Glory: 3.7; Honor: Heh; Status: 3.5

Miya Akihiro

Post by Miya Akihiro » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:56 pm

Akihiro is there early, eager to see the next offering by the local playwrights. He settles in and scans the crowd.

(Open to converse!)
Imperial Families * Courtier * Cartographer * Cheery * Wealthy * Opinionated

Carries: Fine (but sensible clothes), peace-knotted wakizashi, fan, jingasa, smoking pipe, calligraphy kit (sometimes)

Description

Tokagure Hanaru

Post by Tokagure Hanaru » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:29 am

Hanaru slips into a seat, eager to see the Kabuki. The mask artistry was usually first rate in the city, and well worth the look.

(PM/quote if approached. Will be sparse/slow this weekend with other work demanding time.)
Scorpion Clan * Gardener * Local

Description

Carries: Wakisashi, garden tools, incense

Shinjo Byamba

Post by Shinjo Byamba » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:43 am

Byamba enters in a golden kimono with purple horse patterns on it. He picks out a spot near Akihiro and waits for Yuna to arrive.
Unicorn | Shinjo Bushi | Wealthy | Falconer

Saibankan
Despair Bear

Post by Saibankan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 am

With the audience gathered, the lanterns are dimmed and the play begins!

That which was Given to Us (Kabuki)

Two fraternal twins, Bayushi Kojiro and Bayushi Basho are attending the Imperial Winter Court In Kyuden Bayushi for the first time. They notice from afar that the head of the Crane delegation, Doji Eichi strongly resembles their mother’s description of their departed father, right down to having the same birthmark. When confronted about this, the Bayushi Yae reveals that she lied about the death of their father who did not die fighting bandits on the return from the Winter Court many years ago. She had had…..a few affairs during that Winter Court, and did not wish to bring shame upon her family by admitting this.

The twins navigate the perils of the Imperial Winter Court to determine the identify of their father. Was it the head of the Crane delegation? Or perhaps it is a prominent member of the Lion clan. One by one, the boys make their way through the court, exercising as much discretion as they can to find their real father. Still, story after story, divination after divination brings them no closer to learning his identity.

In the end, their mother confesses that the whole of the lie is that they are not her children. They were actually conceived by her favorite servant. When she died in childbirth, Yae swore to raise the twins as her own, and the final curtain falls.
GM * Non-Human *Headmaster's of Hope's Peak Academy *Mastermind *Robobear

"There is no shame in dying for nothing. That's why most people die." Henry Winkler

Bayushi Choudai

Post by Bayushi Choudai » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:13 am

Now that... was a play.

It's a shame some idiot saw to it that Hachi would miss it.

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 pm

A creature on consistency, Oharu was sure to make an appearance at this play to fill out her attendance record. The Kuni found a seat at the front and watched the production intently. It was amusing enough, lacking the dark twists and betrayal. She supposed the betrayal was perhaps placed on the minor characters, rather than the main characters. The characters were as clueless as the audience and maybe even sympathetic in their cause. It even had a real ending with a final reveal at the end!

Nine out of ten, would watch again.

Maybe this would hint a similar reveal tomorrow...?
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Earth • Bad Reputation: Eccentric • Dangerous Beauty • Inexperienced Version
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.3 • Infamy: 1.5 • Honour: Untrustworthy

Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi, satchel, fan, sake cup, some coins, Yogo Sayaka's fan

Doji Ki

Post by Doji Ki » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Ki had arrived a little before the play started, finding her place as the performance rolled in. She was a fan of Kabuki, so this would hopefully prove to be a great piece!

As it made it to the end, Ki smiled softly, looking down at her hands and thinking for a few moments.

A wonderful piece, perfectly acted out. And yet, it continues along the theme of previous nights. The message the Scorpion wish to send out is fascinating.

She looked around to gauge the other reactions.

(ooc - open for interaction)
Crane Clan * Katogama Mon * Courtier * Artist * Daimyo's Daughter * Small * Profile
Equipment: Extravagant clothing and fan, calligraphy kit, paper, wakizashi

Bayushi Choudai

Post by Bayushi Choudai » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Doji Ki wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm
Ki had arrived a little before the play started, finding her place as the performance rolled in. She was a fan of Kabuki, so this would hopefully prove to be a great piece!

As it made it to the end, Ki smiled softly, looking down at her hands and thinking for a few moments.

A wonderful piece, perfectly acted out. And yet, it continues along the theme of previous nights. The message the Scorpion wish to send out is fascinating.

She looked around to gauge the other reactions.
Choudai approached, waited to be acknowledged, and then nodded toward the stage.

"Distinct but with a through-line... my Shosuro cousins are certainly capable of holding to a theme..."

Doji Ki

Post by Doji Ki » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:32 am

Bayushi Choudai wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:31 pm
Choudai approached, waited to be acknowledged, and then nodded toward the stage.

"Distinct but with a through-line... my Shosuro cousins are certainly capable of holding to a theme..."
Ki gave the man a bow, and a small flutter of her fan to invite him to speak. Once he did, Ki smiled.

"It seems we are alike in our thoughts once again Bayushi-san. Good evening, I hope you are well? Thank you again for the delightful food earlier. You and Bayushi Shin'ya-san are very talented, I can't say I've enjoyed food that well prepared for quite some time."
Crane Clan * Katogama Mon * Courtier * Artist * Daimyo's Daughter * Small * Profile

Bayushi Choudai

Post by Bayushi Choudai » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:59 am

Doji Ki wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:32 am
Ki gave the man a bow, and a small flutter of her fan to invite him to speak. Once he did, Ki smiled.

"It seems we are alike in our thoughts once again Bayushi-san. Good evening, I hope you are well? Thank you again for the delightful food earlier. You and Bayushi Shin'ya-san are very talented, I can't say I've enjoyed food that well prepared for quite some time."
"Ah, Doji-sama, the appreciation of one's guests is the finest reward a host can ask for..."

Even if Uncle Koga did... complicate things.

"And I am most gratified by your kind words. Particularly as I know the premium the Crane place on excellence."

Doji Ki

Post by Doji Ki » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Bayushi Choudai wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:59 am
"Ah, Doji-sama, the appreciation of one's guests is the finest reward a host can ask for..."

Even if Uncle Koga did... complicate things.

"And I am most gratified by your kind words. Particularly as I know the premium the Crane place on excellence."
Ki nodded, a smile on her face. "You and Bayushi-san did well. I'll be sure to include that in my letters back home, and then I'll hopefully have somewhere to direct the messages that come back from it onto you, ne?"

Bayushi Choudai

Post by Bayushi Choudai » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:44 pm

Doji Ki wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:31 pm
Ki nodded, a smile on her face. "You and Bayushi-san did well. I'll be sure to include that in my letters back home, and then I'll hopefully have somewhere to direct the messages that come back from it onto you, ne?"
"Ah, yes, that might be... it would probably be safest to send them to my elder brother, Bayushi Ogoe, since his posting in Kyuden Bayushi is unlikely to change anytime soon... and he will be apprised of where I am on a week to week basis..."

Doji Ki

Post by Doji Ki » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Bayushi Choudai wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:44 pm
"Ah, yes, that might be... it would probably be safest to send them to my elder brother, Bayushi Ogoe, since his posting in Kyuden Bayushi is unlikely to change anytime soon... and he will be apprised of where I am on a week to week basis..."
"Oh, Bayushi-san is going travelling?" Ki asked, a slight tilt of her head with the question "duty draws you to new sights?"

Bayushi Choudai

Post by Bayushi Choudai » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Doji Ki wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:16 pm
"Oh, Bayushi-san is going travelling?" Ki asked, a slight tilt of her head with the question "duty draws you to new sights?"
Screwups and new enemies draw me to new sights...

"More that... I cannot provide any guarantee of where the next month will find me. Matters are... in flux."

Doji Ki

Post by Doji Ki » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:30 pm

Bayushi Choudai wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:06 pm
Screwups and new enemies draw me to new sights...

"More that... I cannot provide any guarantee of where the next month will find me. Matters are... in flux."
"Ah" Ki nodded "understandable. I know my path leads to the courts, but beyond this season I cannot say which courts the Crane wish me to attend. Hopefully the path leads to the next Winter Court, ne?"

She looked back to the stage.

"I would venture a guess that my future destinations would not have such...bold performances."

Bayushi Choudai

Post by Bayushi Choudai » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Doji Ki wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:30 pm
"I would venture a guess that my future destinations would not have such...bold performances."
"My Shosuro cousins certainly know how to make an impression, that much is true. Of course... I have little basis for comparison. I imagine matters are broadly similar with most Clans' traditions, but when exposure to those is limited..."