[Day 6 - Early Afternoon] Upscale Lunch!

This building of pale wood, trimmed with bronze, brass, and gold, serves up freshwater fish dishes. The menu changes daily, depending on the catch from the nearby River of Gold, but the common staples are always of the highest quality.
Kuni Oharu

[Day 6 - Early Afternoon] Upscale Lunch!

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:11 pm

(Expecting!)

Braving the winds as they quickly escalated, Oharu quick found refuge at one of the district's famed restaurant. While she wasn't going their initially to eat, the scent did catch her attention and she shuffled in. Next thing she knew, she was whisked away to a window-side table. Or maybe that was her brain going to her stomach. Well, it doesn't hurt to eat in once in a while. She thought to herself as she tried to decide what sort of seafood dish to get.
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Earth • Bad Reputation: Eccentric • Dangerous Beauty • Inexperienced Version
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.3 • Infamy: 1.5 • Honour: Untrustworthy

Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi, satchel, fan, sake cup, some coins, Yogo Sayaka's fan

Soshi Shizuko

Re: [Day 6 - Early Afternoon] Upscale Lunch!

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:11 pm
(Expecting!)

Braving the winds as they quickly escalated, Oharu quick found refuge at one of the district's famed restaurant. While she wasn't going their initially to eat, the scent did catch her attention and she shuffled in. Next thing she knew, she was whisked away to a window-side table. Or maybe that was her brain going to her stomach. Well, it doesn't hurt to eat in once in a while. She thought to herself as she tried to decide what sort of seafood dish to get.
Shizuko on the other hand was a woman on a mission.

True it wasn't a mission she remotely understood but it was a mission and that was all there was to it. Therefore she stalked in to the upscale restaurant and that was when the problems started. While the smells were pleasant enough she didn't recognise some of them and the unknown was not a good thing as far as Shizuko was concerned.

Umm.

Maybe Bayushi Choudai had recommended the place but...

Umm.

Shizuko therefore finds herself standing amidst the splendor, wondering what the next thing she should do was. What the relevant etiquette was...
Scorpion-Ko * Bushi * Duellist * Determined
Status: 1.0 Glory: 1.0 Honor: Have we mentioned she is a Scorpion... [So, Roll for it]

Description

Avatar from Bayushi Mifiyu card by the excellent Adam Schumpert

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Luckily for Shizuko, Oharu was seated relatively close to the door and perked up when she noticed the hesitant Scorpion. It wasn't her business and she assumed that all Scorpions constantly had plans, even if it included standing lost at the entrance. Nevertheless, she didn't want to be rude and dipped her head in a bow with a small smile on her face in a non-verbal greeting.
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Earth • Bad Reputation: Eccentric • Dangerous Beauty • Inexperienced Version

Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi, satchel, fan, sake cup, some coins, Yogo Sayaka's fan

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:10 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:39 pm
Luckily for Shizuko, Oharu was seated relatively close to the door and perked up when she noticed the hesitant Scorpion. It wasn't her business and she assumed that all Scorpions constantly had plans, even if it included standing lost at the entrance. Nevertheless, she didn't want to be rude and dipped her head in a bow with a small smile on her face in a non-verbal greeting.
Even so it will take Shizuko a couple of moments to spot the... samurai woman. That much was obvious. As to clan...

Umm

A more careful look determines that she is a... Kuni... perhaps and her interest rises. After all they are practically magistrates. At least sort of.

"Umm."

It takes a few more moments before she has her words and actions in the right order.

"Ah... Kuni-sama," she manages respectfully with a little bow after stepping a little closer. "This one is called Soshi Shizuko." The words are careful. Rehearsed. Though possibly a bit of a surprise given that the Soshi are a family of shugenja. Meanwhile her stance is stiff and proper and there is just something severe about the cut of the black kimono that matches her dark eyes. Indeed it is only as she gets closer that you realise she is about your own age.

Only once she has checked on the rightness of her words will there be a definitive head nod.

After all she has not shamed herself in front of a samurai from a foreign Clan.
Status: 1.0 Glory: 1.0 Honor: Have we mentioned she is a Scorpion... [So, Roll for it]

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Despite being a woman of few words, it seemed Shizuko had said much of herself already. However, Oharu didn't peer too deeply than she should. After all, she might have broken the woman's train of thought earlier when she first entered. First impressions were important but they weren't everything. She smiled welcomingly at her nevertheless.

"Pleased to meet you, Soshi-san! This one is Kuni Oharu. Ano...I don't know if you have any early-earlier appointments but this one has a table already! Heee, it seems like they have some nice seafood around here-here. It's likely to get busy-busy soon, so you can share my table if you wish." She gave a casual gesture to the seat across from her.

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:35 pm
Despite being a woman of few words, it seemed Shizuko had said much of herself already. However, Oharu didn't peer too deeply than she should. After all, she might have broken the woman's train of thought earlier when she first entered. First impressions were important but they weren't everything. She smiled welcomingly at her nevertheless.

"Pleased to meet you, Soshi-san! This one is Kuni Oharu. Ano...I don't know if you have any early-earlier appointments but this one has a table already! Heee, it seems like they have some nice seafood around here-here. It's likely to get busy-busy soon, so you can share my table if you wish." She gave a casual gesture to the seat across from her.
Bubbly Not a word Shizuko associated with the Kuni.

Also not a word Shizuko particularly liked... or understood.

"Umm. I... I do not have any appointments. Not as such. I have my duties... as do we all." She nods. After all in her world it is true. "But that is all and some food will not interfere with that. So... I thank you for the offer to share your table."

Only after she has spoken does she make to sit, checking that the Kuni does not object as she does so. It is also looks like she is more than willing to spring to her feet at a moments notice, she not letting her guard down for a moment despite it being a fancy restaurant. Her eyes also seem to note where everyone is sitting, threats calculated.

Then she looks at the menu.

Umm.

Should Soshi deflate so? She tries to hide it under her stiff exterior but there is a problem. What language was some of this in? Certainly it wasnt Rokugani and anyway she consumed what was put in front of her. She didn't get to choose it...

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:14 am

"Oh, I'm sure we have our duties, especially when you are at home. If you are from here-here?" She looked at her questioningly at first and nodded in approval as she finally joined her. There was no objection on her part, especially having invited her. "But it's good-good that you're able to join me!"

She momentarily followed Shizuko's gaze around the restaurant, wondering if she truly was expecting someone or really just curious about everything here. Eventually, she spoke up once more after glancing at the menu a few times. "There seems to be a lot of fish from the River of Gold. Is there anything that you would personally recommend here-here?"

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:14 am
Eventually, she spoke up once more after glancing at the menu a few times. "There seems to be a lot of fish from the River of Gold. Is there anything that you would personally recommend here-here?"
Oh. Was that it? Fish from the River of Gold. Well that was a start...

Significantly more information was however needed. How it was to be obtained was less certain.

"I... I am not from this city. Not originally," she will state in answer. "Though maybe I will be positioned here shortly," she admits. What she does not do is address anything to do with food. "How... How are you finding the city," she instead asks as politely as she can for like food small talk is not something Shizuko is great at...

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:03 pm

"Oooh? Where are you from originally, if I may ask. It seems like a very-very pretty city but I don't know how it would be like living here-here all year round. I know that Shosuro Hanaru-san may have a good-good idea, as she's from the Painted City. And Bayushi Choudai too?" She mentioned a few Scorpion but had a feeling she might know them already.

"I'm liking the city! I suppose I came for the spectacle and now I'm slowing delving into the plot, so to speak-speak! I think?" She smiled sheepishly. "I don't have much of a lead on the game here-here but the events are quite entertaining. Never thought I'd take part in a poetry competition for one."

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:03 pm
"Oooh? Where are you from originally, if I may ask. It seems like a very-very pretty city but I don't know how it would be like living here-here all year round. I know that Shosuro Hanaru-san may have a good-good idea, as she's from the Painted City. And Bayushi Choudai too?" She mentioned a few Scorpion but had a feeling she might know them already.

"I'm liking the city! I suppose I came for the spectacle and now I'm slowing delving into the plot, so to speak-speak! I think?" She smiled sheepishly. "I don't have much of a lead on the game here-here but the events are quite entertaining. Never thought I'd take part in a poetry competition for one."
Poetry?

As with 'bubbly' poetry was not something Shizuko associated with the Kuni. "I... I am originally from Toshi-no-Insert name here which is a small city in Soshi lands. " Nod. "As to living here year round... if I am ordered to do so then that is what I will do." She shrugs as if her personal needs are irrelevant... because they are. "And should it happen then I am sure Tokagure Hanaru-san will be most useful. She has already been kind enough to assist me in various matters..." That you shouldn't be talking about. Not to... outsiders. "...while Bayushi Chudai-sama is I believe relatively new to the city but has indeed been here longer than I have." Nod. Precision was after all important. "As to the games..." She does not talk about the duel. No. "...I am only intending to take part in the kite flying I think."

No. Poetry was not for the likes of Shizuko.

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:43 am

"Oooh, so a visitor too then? At least for now! Of course, we don't really-really get to decide where we want to live most of the time. But I guess we're trying to petition or show worthiness for the post, ne-ne? I bet the right people might make that a reality, maybe probably?"

She raised her hand to wave down a server to take their order. "Kite flying sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to participate in that one! Hopefully, it won't be too dangerous. Some of these events have some element of risk-risk involve in them, from what we've noticed. Do you think so? But sometimes, some secret-secrets are worth unlocking. I hope Matsu-sama is appreciative of the leads he's getting, as it would suck to cramp his style."

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:43 am
"Oooh, so a visitor too then? At least for now! Of course, we don't really-really get to decide where we want to live most of the time. But I guess we're trying to petition or show worthiness for the post, ne-ne? I bet the right people might make that a reality, maybe probably?"

She raised her hand to wave down a server to take their order. "Kite flying sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to participate in that one! Hopefully, it won't be too dangerous. Some of these events have some element of risk-risk involve in them, from what we've noticed. Do you think so? But sometimes, some secret-secrets are worth unlocking. I hope Matsu-sama is appreciative of the leads he's getting, as it would suck to cramp his style."
Suck?

Who in their right mind says 'suck'? she stuffily wonders.

As to kite flying being dangerous... She's never done it before and truth be told doesn't know much about it but she doubts it will be a problem. "How hard can it be?" she states. Certainly compared to choosing from the menu it would be easy, the approaching server filling her with... concern... for Shizuko does not do fear.

Ever.

Ever, ever...

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:09 pm

"I can't just be a straight kite flying contest if the previous contests have told-told us anything. What if, what if it's a contest done on a roof stop with sharp-sharp winds? They'll expect us to fly our kites while keeping our footing? Maybe-probably that's silly-silly but I can totally see it happening." She nodded twice at that point.

"Oooh, I think I'll have the grilled eel with five spicy-spicy spices!" She exclaimed when the server finally approached. "Please!"

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:09 pm
"I can't just be a straight kite flying contest if the previous contests have told-told us anything. What if, what if it's a contest done on a roof stop with sharp-sharp winds? They'll expect us to fly our kites while keeping our footing? Maybe-probably that's silly-silly but I can totally see it happening." She nodded twice at that point.

"Oooh, I think I'll have the grilled eel with five spicy-spicy spices!" She exclaimed when the server finally approached. "Please!"
Kite flying on a roof top with high winds? Were all Kuni so taken to such flights of fancy?

With difficulty Shizuko does not scoff. Instead she comes up with a such a clever plan. "I... I will have the same," she informs the server, even though she doesn't really know what it is she is ordering. Certainly she has never had eel before... but like kite flying... how bad can it be? Also how hot can the spices be?

Thankfully she doesn't dwell on this.

"So, are you a magistrate... or also a magistrate in training? You are a Kuni after all."

Nod.

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:44 am

Oharu watched the server move away from the table after their orders are made. "Well, figured I should get something local-ish. It sounds like something mushed together with Unicorn cuisine, maybe-probably," she explained her choice.

"A magistrate?" She blinked at the sudden question. "Mm, not all Kuni are magistrates, really-really. Not even Jade Magistrates. However, my mom was a Jade magistrate for some time, I'm just a shugenja at the moment. I could consider in the future, maybe-probably. That said, are you a magistrate? You are Soshi after all."

There was a faint smile on her features as she turned the question on her.

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:44 am
Oharu watched the server move away from the table after their orders are made. "Well, figured I should get something local-ish. It sounds like something mushed together with Unicorn cuisine, maybe-probably," she explained her choice.

"A magistrate?" She blinked at the sudden question. "Mm, not all Kuni are magistrates, really-really. Not even Jade Magistrates. However, my mom was a Jade magistrate for some time, I'm just a shugenja at the moment. I could consider in the future, maybe-probably. That said, are you a magistrate? You are Soshi after all."
Unicorn food?

But they ate meat!!

Big huge hunks of meat.

With a certain amount of difficulty Shizuko manages not to be sick... which would be a bad thing given her mask. Thankfully it does mostly cover her difficulties... it better when Oharu talks about her background and she will be impressed about the Kuni's mother being a Jade Magistrate. She does not attempt to hide this. As to the question...

"I am not. Yet. It looks... promising..." or at least possible "...that I will become a Yoriki very soon."

Nod.

She seems somewhat satisfied at this prospect though this is quickly shattered when she spots the server returning...

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Considering they ordered eel, they would be safe from any Unicorn red meat and it was just the spices that were foreign than anything. Giving how different they were from the majority of Rokugani cuisine, it may be still too adventurous.

Oharu nodded in pleased acceptance with a smile. "Oh, good-good! I'm sure you'll get there with the right focus, Soshi-san. Promising means it's an eventuality, ne-ne?"

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:20 pm
Considering they ordered eel, they would be safe from any Unicorn red meat and it was just the spices that were foreign than anything. Giving how different they were from the majority of Rokugani cuisine, it may be still too adventurous.

Oharu nodded in pleased acceptance with a smile. "Oh, good-good! I'm sure you'll get there with the right focus, Soshi-san. Promising means it's an eventuality, ne-ne?"
"I... I hope so," she states. I really hope so.

As she does so she eyes the server suspiciously as their meals are placed in front of them, food once more proving an issue. First Choudai now this... though she is somewhat relieved that it doesn't in fact appear to be some sort of meat. Therefore somewhat tentatively she removes her chopsticks from where they are carefully stored and gives the food a second dubious look.

"Well," she manages. "This looks... umm... fine."

"Yes."

"Very."

Perhaps conversation will delay the moment when she is required to eat whatever it is that she has ordered. Unfortunately it would be better if she was any good at small talk.

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:32 am

"Oh, oh!" She called after the server after their meals were laid down before them. "Could we also get tea, heee kinda-sorta forgot. I guess I'll have the one that's herbal and darkish? Hai-hai, that one!"

Her request would naturally befuddle the server before giving an alternating look to Shizuko for her additional request if she had one.

Once the orders were made she smiled in approval at Shizuko. "I'm happy-happy that you think so, Soshi-san. I guess I had these chicken skewers, not the regular kind, but the kind with the spicy-spicy spices on them. I bet this might be the same-similar thing? But anyway!"

She went quiet and she took her chopsticks together, offering a quick prayer to Inari. "...Okay, let's eat!"

After a few eager bites, she seemed to be taken aback by its kick. "Oooof, very spicy-spicy...I think I should have waited for the tea..."

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:32 am
"Oh, oh!" She called after the server after their meals were laid down before them. "Could we also get tea, heee kinda-sorta forgot. I guess I'll have the one that's herbal and darkish? Hai-hai, that one!"

Her request would naturally befuddle the server before giving an alternating look to Shizuko for her additional request if she had one.

Once the orders were made she smiled in approval at Shizuko. "I'm happy-happy that you think so, Soshi-san. I guess I had these chicken skewers, not the regular kind, but the kind with the spicy-spicy spices on them. I bet this might be the same-similar thing? But anyway!"

She went quiet and she took her chopsticks together, offering a quick prayer to Inari. "...Okay, let's eat!"

After a few eager bites, she seemed to be taken aback by its kick. "Oooof, very spicy-spicy...I think I should have waited for the tea..."
Tea? Shizuko berates herself for also having forgotten such a basic thing.

"Umm. Yes. The same."

Wait. That had gone badly before. Hadn't she learned her lesson?

Apparently not for the server turns and shuffles away and irritatedly Shizuko turns her attention back to the 'food'. Umm. Watching Oharu struggle she at least is able to wait for the tea to arrive and after a few moments to pour and then let it settle she removes her mask before reluctantly trying some of her eel.

It does not go well and she has to force it down with some of the tea. Tea that she also wasn't used to and that doesn't go remotely well with spiced eel.

"Umm. Interesting," she will eventually manage as her stomach churns, more tea required to put out the fire in her throat and all the time she is trying to devise a strategy to deal with the rest of the food. Should she eat larger more disgusting portions but that would be gone quicker, get it over with sooner or...

It does not occur to her to ask for something else.

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Whether or not the tea complemented the grilled spicy eel, it did provide some faint relief from the initiate sting of her order. There was also thankfully some rice that came with it, as well as some pickled vegetables which perhaps was more effective in diluting the spices.

After a few gulps of rice, she took a pause from eating and nodded to Shizuko. "Hai-hai. At least, it's a pretty good mix of local fish and the exotic. Heee, not exactly something I'll get much around in the Crab lands. I do miss fried tofu but everything else here-here has been quite tasty."

She paused for a moment in thought. Other than Daikoku's Belly... "Most places, hai-hai."

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 pm
Whether or not the tea complemented the grilled spicy eel, it did provide some faint relief from the initiate sting of her order. There was also thankfully some rice that came with it, as well as some pickled vegetables which perhaps was more effective in diluting the spices.

After a few gulps of rice, she took a pause from eating and nodded to Shizuko. "Hai-hai. At least, it's a pretty good mix of local fish and the exotic. Heee, not exactly something I'll get much around in the Crab lands. I do miss fried tofu but everything else here-here has been quite tasty."

She paused for a moment in thought. Other than Daikoku's Belly... "Most places, hai-hai."
Shizuko will struggle mightily with her food, but as is her way now she has started something she will finish it... even if it kills her... and right now that seems not too far fetched a possibility.

She also stores away the information that cuisine in Crab lands is more basic... not that she sees this as a bad thing... more a fact that it might conceivably be useful for her to be able to recall some time in the future.

It is therefore a few moments before she states, "It is a good thing that you are enjoying the food here. Yes. Though I do hope you are enjoying your time here."

Perhaps a touch blunt but this is Shizuko after all.

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:08 am

Oharu took a small break from her lunch and nodded. "I think all of the food here-here has been pretty delightful! In fancy-fancy restaurants or even from the street vendors. I even had some rice cakes over at the game stands with Bayushi Choudai-san. They aren't gourmet to be sure-sure, buuut I think the occasion gives them a different sort-type of delicious flavour."

"The wedding celebrations have been pretty fun-fun so far. The mystery-mystery has open a lot of discussion and talk-talk, the one regarding the governor's identity. Nobody seems to know or wants to say, really-really." She shrugged in acceptance at that.

Description

Soshi Shizuko

Post by Soshi Shizuko » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Kuni Oharu wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:08 am
Oharu took a small break from her lunch and nodded. "I think all of the food here-here has been pretty delightful! In fancy-fancy restaurants or even from the street vendors. I even had some rice cakes over at the game stands with Bayushi Choudai-san. They aren't gourmet to be sure-sure, buuut I think the occasion gives them a different sort-type of delicious flavour."

"The wedding celebrations have been pretty fun-fun so far. The mystery-mystery has open a lot of discussion and talk-talk, the one regarding the governor's identity. Nobody seems to know or wants to say, really-really." She shrugged in acceptance at that.
Nod.

"It... it is good that you are having fun."

Shizuko was not having 'fun' with her meal, much of the tea she didn't particularly like but that at least she didn't actively dislike required. She was also aware that the conversation had at least partly turned to the food. So she as it is a subject she is even less qualified to talk upon she considers the governor's identity.

"I... I do not know who the governor is either."

It is no lie and a little frustrating for she can't be presented to the governor until she knows who it is. On the other hand she has half an idea, based entirely on who she would have disguised the governor as if it were her. Then again would they have thought the same? It is all a little infuriating.

"But we should find out soon enough. What happens then I am not so sure."

Nod.

Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Oharu used her chopsticks to take a small morsel of fish as she ventured back to finishing her meal as she talked. "I don't think anyone knows who the governor is, really-really. I talk-talked to a few-couple locals and nobody has met her personally, but apparently, she had been the city for a while. The candidates are apparently real-real people...according to one local, so they aren't personas conjured for just this event? I'm not too sure. Another Scorpion mentioned it probably-maybe wasn't Shosuro Aiko, since she's...uhm, Shosuro Aiko. There's also a bushi and a shugenja in a party of courtiers, so that stick-sticks out a bit."

"That still leaves a lot of candidates even if you take out the three from the picture. I guess we could ask a lot of questions and there's enough to conjure some theories buuut no clear direction. Also, how is this going to be resolved, really-really? Shosuro Hotaka-san said apparently there will be consequences for the wrong-wrong choice. But is Matsu-sama going to care?"

Description