[Day 5 - Late Morning] Pulling at the Seams

This composite structure - which over the years has been built, rebuilt, and added on to with little care for style - is both shady gambling den and local flophouse for those who don't warrant or can't afford better lodging.
Bayushi Shin'ya

Re: [Day 5 - Late Morning] Pulling at the Seams

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:20 am

Shin'ya shook his head. "No, this place is very...particular. The Bayushi in my neck of the woods are far more practical and straightforward." Also often evil backstabbing bastards, but then, people expect that of Scorpions, so... "Besides, this level of skill and dedication to the role is considerable."

He shook his head, took another sip, winced. Depressing, really. I know much better stuff.

"I think there are interesting places along the river of gold, or older Scorpion palaces and cities which have interesting collections of books and arts on par with some of the best in the empire. This is more of a...complex performance. The entire city, more or less. This place..." he said, indicating the common room around them, and by proxy, the building "is a testament to human fortitude and ability to survive"
be
Another sip of tea. "I really need to find some of the better varieties the Phoenix clan make. Seems more like the kind of thing Kuni-san likes"

And anything is better than this
Scorpion Clan * Bushi * Handsome * Nerd * Description

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:41 am

"I have passed by Kyuden Bayushi before, briefly-briefly. I do agree that it's not so flashy as this place but are any Scorpion places really-really straightforward-forward?" She then smiled briefly with a small shrug. "Well, probably-maybe complicated for non-Scorpions, I'm sure."

"That's a strange-strange way of putting it..." But I guess a cockroach could survive if it has enough cracks to hide in, like this place. "But I think I get what you're saying really-really. There are some amusements here-here but the sort that don't seem quite genuine."

"Heee, that might be the one! Thank you. That makes sense, considering the Phoenix are found north and probably meant to remind them of home." She took another sip from her cup, which wasn't anything close to the tea that was just mentioned. "I doubt that Bayushi-san spends all of his time here-here, have you been enjoying the festivities so far?"
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Earth • Bad Reputation: Eccentric • Dangerous Beauty • Inexperienced Version
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.3 • Infamy: 1.5 • Honour: Untrustworthy

Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi, satchel, fan, sake cup, some coins, Yogo Sayaka's fan

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Heh- these places are complicated for anyone. No exceptions. As if Scorpions would stop playing games if the opposite number was another Scorpion...

"I think the amusement are genuine enough, but generally not of the sort that comes without a hefty price that goes beyond the gold and silver involved. Lodging is cheap, mind you. But this is not the place for civilized delights. I do suppose that is not what Kuni-san came here for, though. I think you were looking for someone?"

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:32 pm

"I was," she admittedly with a restrained sigh. "Just someone who I met yesterday, he told-told me an interesting story but left before it was finished, like one of those Shosuro plays. I'm eager to hear-hear the rest of it, especially when it involves me as one of the characters. He was here-here. Maybe-probably a Scorpion with a white face mask? Goes by Shigeaki?"
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Earth • Bad Reputation: Eccentric • Dangerous Beauty • Inexperienced Version

Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi, satchel, fan, sake cup, some coins, Yogo Sayaka's fan

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:57 am

"Hmmm. I know nothing of a Shigeaki, unfortunately" Shin'ya replied, but frowned slightly. "A white face mask seems most peculiar however - I mean it is the colour of death. Outside of theatre or very specific ceremonial purposes I would be VERY surprised if someone wore one. Which means that mask was more than likely a message or signal of sorts"

"So it is probably a persona of some sorts, and perhaps Kuni-san is meant to research the kind of persona that would be. A dead person? A ghost?"

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Oharu took another sip of tea, only out of habit, not because she liked the flavour. Who would have thought they could spoil water? Or maybe the water wasn't so good to begin with and the tea managed to bring it up to a mediocre flavour? She didn't want to imagine which well they were getting their water from...

"Hai-hai, I did think it was pretty ghastly to be a mask but I did see this person before at the luncheon. Sure a lot of ghosts here-here. I don't know if it's the same person or a throwaway mask..."

Description

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:21 pm

"Neither would I, of course. Or whether that mask, if worn by multiple people, identifies a group of them"

Shin'ya saw her reaction to the tea, and reflexively took a sip of the other drink on the table - and immediately realized his mistake. I really should eventually make this up to the Kuni. And myself. Just out of sheer spite he took a larger gulp of the vile liquid, and almost coughed and choked.

"Odds are this is either a performance of sort or the calling card of some organisation"

Fukurokujin
Wise Guy

Post by Fukurokujin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:29 pm

The whole time, of course, the two are being watched intently.

There is a chuckle as Shin'ya drinks--and reacts.
Naishou GM Team

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:55 pm

"Hm." Oharu murmured in thought as she looked down at the table, it didn't seem like she was going to get much from here in her personal investigation.

Her mood turned more light and conversation. "Ah, speaking of performance! Does Bayushi-san have an opinion regarding the governor's game here-here? I don't think something like this is typical among the Bayushi, ne-ne?"

Description

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:27 pm

"No, it's not" he agreed readily "We probably do not even have the necessary amount of capable actors to create a sufficiently large "screen" as it were, and neither do we have the inclination. We are less...playful" at deception. We go right for the shaming and stabbing he added derisively.
There were some rather recent memories that were not so pleasant. But that was nothing the Kuni needed to know he decided.

"It is interesting, to be sure, and I have an opinion, but no certain leads. For starters, I am pretty sure it's not Aiko"

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:17 am

She tilted her head at that. "Through the process of elimination, it might still be a lead of some sort-type. What makes you think it's not Aiko? Because she's been so mystery-mysterious?"

Description

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:44 am

Shin'ya shook his head and replied "More simple than that. Games are nice, and perhaps the Ikoma appreciates a challenge, but I would not endanger a political match by purposely acquiring a scandalous reputation. Especially if it is an act and not genuine. While it is feasible the governour could, in fact, be Aiko - but I think she has better sense than that."

At least I hope that is the case. Otherwise I might truly despair of my clan...

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:06 am

"That would make sense, although I'm sure-sure she could say it was all just an act. Wouldn't the reputation remain with the character than the actress? Actually! I thought it was peculiar there was a...bushi? and a shugenja there. By profession, they are also of the outliers of the part too, ne-ne?"

Description

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:21 am

He nodded. "Particularly the Shugenja would be hard to feign easily I would imagine. I do not know enough about stagecraft to know what is possible, nor can I view or commune with the Kami, but I would imagine it would be hard to appear as a Shugenja without that talent - not without extensive preparations in place at least."

"Faking martial skill is easier if it is not tested in genuine combat I'd say. They would just have to memorize a few Kata or movements. Mind you, that would probably already confer some basic skill, but a dedicated actress might go that far - and she need not be actually good to pass casual scrutiny."

He drank some more horrible tea and regretted it, then proceeded

"As for the reputation staying with the figure - that depends a lot on how convinced people are that it is really just an act. If it is more than superficial, I would imagine that the actions taken in that character do follow the actor around - it is hard to cleanly separate the two. Ikoma-dono might not feel inclined to make that distinction at least, which makes it a political risk. Mind you, him being Ikoma and all, he might find some scandalous behaviour amusing, but again, it is a risk. I have to believe the governour would not take it"
Last edited by Bayushi Shin'ya on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:03 am

Oharu gave a few slow nods in acceptance of the argument. "That's likely the case, if the governor wasn't a person who liked to be daring. Without knowing her, we don't know how far-far she would go with her craft, maybe-probably even manipulating the likeliness for her to take that chance? That said, it makes me wonder if all of these candidates ever existed prior to the game."

Description

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:33 am

"A good question. Who could even say, in this town? Besides, who could even say the roles are not played by more than one actress, or that the governour does not use more than one persona? All of this is entirely possible and feasible. Bear in mind that trying to figure such a thing out and think like that for an extended period of time is very likely to result in a headache"

He took another sip of the sake. But then so is this

"I wonder if it can even be resolved entirely"

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Oharu gave a glance around the room. "I think the locals here-here manage, they must have! I wonder how the contest will be concluded, if there was going to be a big-big reveal in the end or maybe-probably they would resolve the choice as is for Matsu-sama. That's probably-maybe far-far fetched since that would effectively make any of these women the governor...But if Matsu-sama truly never knew the governor, does he care if the woman he married was actually his intended?"

Description

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:06 am

"In a political marriage? Unlikely. He is marrying status and position, not a person, and as long as appearances are upheld he would likely accept it. Everyone has personal preferences, but I doubt a Matsu would give them much consideration."

He smiled, thinking through the implications. "It could indeed be any or all of them. Unless Matsu-dono or his allies find out for themselves there would be no way to know if the locals all agree on the answer, whether it is wrong or right. In a sense such consense would make it right. If, after all, all agree that woman is the future governour...would that not make her the governour?"

It was an interesting thought. "It would not necessarily make her Shosuro Orino."

He leaned back. "Question is how much that matters. I am curious, mind you, how this Orino is. I would have liked to have met her"

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:13 pm

"At this point, it seems like her real-real identity is just minor details to the big-bigger picture of this marriage, especially to the Lion. So long-long the agreement is held, of course!" She nodded.

"Was there ever a Shosuro Orino?" Oharu questioned. "If the candidates are real-real, I wonder if the governor was ever real-real or just a pen name for a big-bigger body involved. Does this make this game an indirect vote of power? Or a choice on Matsu-sama's preference in wife? It seems like a very-very passive play for power, if there are any from the candidates."

Description

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:58 pm

"It almost seems that way, does it not? Like there is no certainty, like there does not even need to a real Shosuro Orino. Who is to say that it would matter either? As long as everyone respects the authority of the new governour and she rules well, I suppose it would not really matter to me. Matsu-sama is a different matter, but who knows what he wants?"

He leans back a little and also finishes his bowl of nasty tea - and nearly leans back further all the way to the floor, shaking like a wet dog. Undignified, that, but an involuntary reaction that had him embarassed for a second.

"If this was a popularity contest, mind you, which one would Kuni-san favour? The Shugenja, Tamaki-san?"

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:52 pm

"And whether or not the repercussions will have any big-large effect on the city or the region, I guess neither of us would know what the chosen governor will do with her rule, if that is the case." She shrugged with open hands on the matter, as she didn't affect the Crab directly.

"How there been much popularity involved with the candidates? I haven't had the chance to talk-talk to them personally yet. The shugenja seems awkward...judging from the first day! Hm, maybe-probably Shosuro Dai? It doesn't seem fair-fair to judge them solely on personality...especially when it says nothing of policy, ne-ne?"

Description

Bayushi Shin'ya

Post by Bayushi Shin'ya » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:54 am

"Policy? Who knows? I certainly do not" Shin'ya conceded the point "Still, depending on how one approaches this guessing game, it certainly is a popularity contest, of sorts. If one takes it at face value, as I intend to do, one would choose the one they think is most gubernatorial in her behaviour and actions, no? It would certainly depend on the expectations of the one making the judgement what they consider good attributes for one in her position. Often qualities people themselves possess and have thus learned to value"

The Scorpion sat back, rubbing his nose. "That is unless one wishes for Matsu-dono to guess incorrectly. Such a course of action is, of course, also on the table."

Kuni Oharu

Post by Kuni Oharu » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Oharu tapped on her chin quizzically. "At this point, deciding who might be competent in the job might say-say more about the person choosing than the person potentially in the run-running, if it's been left so liberally!" For a moment, she wondered what things were said about her based on the people she investigated.

"I can't say I have some need to see Matsu-sama fail, as a non-courtier and knowing little of the wide stakes. If the arrangements are set up in the way I suspect they might be, there is no real-real failure."

Description