Getting Back In the (Card) Game

A home for general OOC chatter, not necessarily related to the Shadows Over Naishou game or universe.
Obsidian Dragon
Site Admin

Getting Back In the (Card) Game

Post by Obsidian Dragon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:50 am

Part of an ongoing collection of evidence in support of the axioms, "A fool and his money are soon parted," and, "OD should never be allowed near eBay."

So after a conversation with a couple of local gamers, I've finally decided to go in on the LCG, getting a pretty good deal on a large portion of what's currently available (three core sets and several of the chapter packs). I will, naturally, be returning to my home in the Scorpion. I've done some basic reading on tactics and deck-building, but might anyone here have any suggestions, or warnings regarding potential hangups or other issues?

Secondly, one of those other gamers (who also have a core set, but will probably be getting a chunk of cards from me as part of a 30th birthday present) is interested in getting more seriously into it...except he was a Mantis player in the CCG days, which is of course no longer an option. Do any of the factions have an approach that might particularly appeal to such a player?
Nonhuman • Dragon • Obsidian • Shugenja • Cavalry • Unique
It is the last remant of Lord Onnotangu, the fallen Lord Moon.
Head GM • Forum Administrator

Isawa Mei

Re: Getting Back In the (Card) Game

Post by Isawa Mei » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:14 pm

1. Scorpion are stupidly dominant in the current meta. They have a ludicrously good stronghold, especially since fiddling with honor can get you card draw. The bastards. Expect existing players to be actively looking for ways to break what your deck does.

2. For your buddy- Mantis are waiting in the wings... as for "who's in right now that plays like Mantis," that's actually hard to say because the game is so different. Scorpion are good at a selected level of removal and general head games, though, if your buddy misses Naval and Ranged and ALL YOUR GUYS ARE DEAD! Mechanics aside, none of the starting seven really have the same attitude- Crab come closest.

EDIT: Also, due to some shipping flubs, I have two extra core sets still in the shrink wrap I have no practical use for, so... if you know anybody who needs 'em...

Obsidian Dragon
Site Admin

Post by Obsidian Dragon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:24 am

Update: Drowning in cards. So many cards.

Yeah, one of the options I'd considered was sending him toward the Crab, if for no other reason than the IC similarities. The more esoteric clans (Dragon and Phoenix) won't appeal to him, nor would the political ones (Crane and Scorps) - he's much more into simple, efficient, "get things done" play. I'll pitch it to him at our next Earthdawn session and see what he thinks.

For now, though, time to start sorting cards...again. I feel that the "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" line might apply to my current situation.

Isawa Mei

Post by Isawa Mei » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:37 am

NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!

*Initiates "Operation Make This Jank WORK, Iteration 345,072,131"*

Obsidian Dragon
Site Admin

Post by Obsidian Dragon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:30 am

So, now that I've got my hands on everything, I've built my first deck. Not sure if it's going to be terribly effective, as it naturally hasn't been tested yet, but it looks interesting. At least if it doesn't work out, I won't find myself putting out another $100+ on more cards to try again...

Of potential interest to those present who were once extra-crispy magistrates or perky Earth prodigies, I've decided to splash Phoenix. Magnificent Kimono and Display of Power just look too good to pass up.

Isawa Mei

Post by Isawa Mei » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:52 am

Real talk: Were it not for the fact that Scorpion are basically a silver bullet, Phoenix would be stupidly dominant right now.

Otomo Shibosha-e

Post by Otomo Shibosha-e » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:11 am

So, a good time for fire-chickens?
Imperial * Miharu * Experienced * More Eager than Skilled

Isawa Mei

Post by Isawa Mei » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:06 pm

So-so. The Scorpion match-up is absurdly unfavorable- basically, Phoenix stuff includes costs for a stat called Glory... it's treated as a good thing, since an Honored personality adds it to their skill rating. The problem is, Phoenix pays extra for high glory, and Scorpion dishonor cards like there's no tomorrow-and a dishonored card subtracts its glory from its skill.

Otomo Shibosha-e

Post by Otomo Shibosha-e » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Hm.

Things *have* changed since I last played the card game.
Imperial * Miharu * Experienced * More Eager than Skilled

Doji Musashi

Post by Doji Musashi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm

This man alone puts phoenix in a great place. Not to mention tons of other cool tricks they got in this expansion. I had someone charge in the giant firebird only to bring back Isawa Kaede for free.