Who's Who at Hundred Stances

Look here for character generation guidelines, GM announcements, and other official documents.
Doji Hariya

Who's Who at Hundred Stances

Post by Doji Hariya »

Name: Doji Hariya
Position: Master Sensei of the main dojo and Champion of the Hundred Stances (Ally Influence 3)
Profile: A relatively rare Doji student of the Kakita Dueling Academy, Hariya has until recently received little attention from her sensei or superiors. Her Kakita teachers largely ignored her, believing that a Doji could never truly master the way of the blade as a Kakita could. She, in turn, decided to expand her studies beyond the iaijutsu techniques of her school, dedicating herself to areas of swordsmanship she came to believe her instructors neglected.
In time, her travels took her to the Hundred Stances Dojo, a respected center of kenjutsu study that was at the time mastered by Bayushi Suke, a skilled swordsman who had held the position of Master Sensei many times before. She caught his attention, and under normal circumstances would have accepted her as a student, but the difficulties between their clans forced them into a rivalry and, inevitably, a challenge. Hariya won, if only just, and by tradition became the Dojo's new Champion.
New to the position and perhaps a little uncertain of what to do with it, Hariya has begun enacting a set of sweeping changes to the basic operations of the Hundred Stances Dojo. This includes extending invitations to promising students who had not yet come of age - previously, only adult students were accepted. The clans readily responded, sending their youngest, best, and brightest to compete for Hariya's attention in the hopes of earning a place in her classes. She has also announced her intention to host a gempukku ceremony at the end of the spring for those students who pass a set of tests she and the sensei of the Minor Dojo have developed. This has earned the ire of some Crane, as the prestige of the Hundred Stances Dojo means the ceremony threatens to draw attention away from the Topaz Championship of Tsuma, but Hariya is generally unconcerned, as she has at last begun to feel as if she has found her true path.
Crane Clan • Artisan • Kensai • Samurai
Glory: 5.0 • Honor: A Soul Above Question • Status: 4.0
Head Sensei of the Hundred Stances Dojo
"I will not limit myself to the duel. I will master all aspects of the blade, and in doing so, I will master myself."
Seppun Osokawa

Re: Who's Who at Hundred Stances

Post by Seppun Osokawa »

Name: Seppun Osokawa
Position: Administrator of the Hundred Stances Dojo (Ally Influence 3)
Profile: Until recently, much of Seppun Osokawa's life has been spent in the service of temples and shrines run by her family, where she has earned a reputation for piety and purity. Her devotion to her duties has earned her the attention of no less than the Empress herself, and Osokawa is known to bear the favor of the Throne. An unexpected side effect of this favor has been this current appointment, one somewhat unexpected for a shugenja.
Osokawa does no teaching - her role is entirely the maintenance of the sanctity of the dojo, blessing challenges, maintaining the shrine, and trying to keep the peace between the clans. It's known this last duty is the one she finds most trying, as squabbling between the clans over the dojo's secrets constantly threatens to escalate from simple challenges to larger-scale conflicts. All this, in addition to watching over her two sisters, Osoko and Osuki, might be enough to break some, but Osokawa burns with a Fire that keeps her going.
Imperial • Fire • Shugenja
Glory: 4.6 • Honor: Exceptional • Status: 5.7
Administrator of the Dojo
"My duty is to preserve the sanctity of this place. No one - student or sensei - will threaten that."
Bayushi Suke

Post by Bayushi Suke »

Name: Bayushi Suke
Position: Sensei of the Minor Dojo (Ally Influence 2)
Profile: One might expect someone so recently unseated as Champion of the Hundred Stances to be a bitter man obsessed with revenge and recovering what he lost, but that is precisely not what Bayushi Suke is. He has held the position of Champion twice before and has truly earned a reputation as a skilled and dangerous swordsman. Now, he has settled into a position teaching in the Minor Dojo, and seems to be quite satisfied with that duty. He's shown no interest at all in challenging Doji Hariya, nor returning to the main dojo, and no one's certain whether this apparent fall and subsequent contentment is genuine or simply one move in a greater scheme.
It is notoriously difficult to earn admission into any of Suke's classes, and he is a demanding taskmaster of a teacher. Perhaps it is not surprising that all of his students thus far have been drawn from his own clan, but he's assured Hariya and his other fellow teachers that he'll gladly accept anyone who can meet his prerequisites. Anyone who could do so would be certain to get a top-notch education in the way of the blade, if they're prepared to risk being drawn into his plots...
Scorpion Clan • Samurai
Glory: 4.0 • Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 3.0
Sensei of the Minor Dojo
"I am great, but Doji Hariya-sensei is greater still. I do not regret losing to her."
Mirumoto Iyoka

Post by Mirumoto Iyoka »

Name: Mirumoto Iyoka
Profile: Like his fellow Minor Dojo sensei, the middle-aged swordsman Iyoka was once Champion of the Hundred Stances, but unlike them he was not unseated as the result of a challenge. Instead, after a single day and having taught a single class, Iyoka stepped down - the only sensei in the history of the dojo to do so - claiming that he was not ready for the responsibility of the position. As things are going, it seems he never will, despite being encouraged by many who have been impressed by his skill.
Iyoka is perhaps the most serious of the three sensei of the Minor Dojo, and is unique in demanding that his students learn to practice and spar with live steel, not bokken. This can be decidedly unnerving, both for students and observers, but Iyoka insists that so-called "practice" weapons teach nothing but how to practice. Only with a real weapon in a student's hand can they begin to understand not just the art, but the responsibility required to use it.
Dragon Clan • Samurai
Glory: 1.0 • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 3.0
Sensei of the Minor Dojo
"Yes, I was briefly Master here, but I knew I was not ready. I now care little for such accolades, and more for the art of the sword."
Shiba Danji

Post by Shiba Danji »

Name: Shiba Danji
Profile: If you seek a sensei who can demonstrate the Hundred Stances and their uses, keep looking - Danji is no longer capable as the result of a persistent injury he suffered in the duel that toppled him from the dojo's Championship (notably, the duel was against his now-colleague Bayushi Suke, and there is little love lost between the men). If you want someone who can explain the foundations and history of the Hundred Stances and the unique uses of each one, there is none better than Shiba Danji. Even if he can't practice the art anymore, he knows it better than anyone in the region, and perhaps anyone in the whole of the Empire.
Many of his students consider Danji a bit too tradition-bound for their tastes, as he is unwilling to consider altering or going beyond the teachings of the Hundred Stances. Such students quickly find themselves excluded from his classes, while those who stick with him claim to have experienced major breakthroughs in understanding how to make use of the Stances. His keen mind and dedication, therefore, continue to bear fruit even when he cannot fight himself.
Phoenix Clan • Samurai
Glory: 4.0 • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 3.0
Permanently Wounded • Sensei of the Minor Dojo
"I may not be able to demonstrate the stance for you, but I can explain how and why it works better than anyone in the Dojo could ever hope to."
Hiruma Eriko

Post by Hiruma Eriko »

Name: Hiruma Eriko
Position: Senior Crab student (Ally Influence 1)
Profile: Many have puzzled over why Eriko has remained at the Hundred Stances Dojo for as long as she has, despite having never claimed the dojo's Championship or even experienced a major breakthrough in her studies of kenjutsu. Now she's approaching forty, and is far closer to retirement than she'd like to admit. She knows she'll never be able to win in what time she has left, so she has taken on the role of "minor sensei" in the Minor Dojo, hoping that she might be able to train someone who can do what she cannot.
Nevertheless, the peerless reputation she earned at her home dojo means she is far from a failure. Her understanding of the Stances is strong, and anywhere else in the Empire she could be a revered sensei of the highest level, but still she remains at the Hundred Stances Dojo, unwilling to depart until she makes the breakthrough she swears she has nearly achieved, or until she can teach a worthy successor.
Crab Clan • Samurai
Glory: 4.1 • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.4
Senior Crab Student
"You each have a chance to shine...but who will shine brightest, I wonder?"
Kakita Shotsune

Post by Kakita Shotsune »

Name: Kakita Shotsune
Position: Senior Crane student (Ally Influence 1)
Profile: Shotsune is a recent arrival at the dojo, and is here with a purpose: to unseat Doji Hariya. Crane, and particularly Kakita leadership is decidedly unimpressed with Hariya's decision to hold a gempukku ceremony that has the potential to eclipse, or at least distract from the prestige of the Topaz Championship. They have therefore ordered Shotsune to issue her challenge at the earliest opportunity, claim the Championship, and put an end to the perceived threat and reassert the supremacy of the Kakita style. However, for reasons not yet known, Shotsune has put off issuing her challenge for now. Some speculate that she has developed a deep admiration for Hariya's style and determination, while others who would tarnish the reputation of the two Cranes are quite willing to spread more salacious rumors about how far this "admiration" goes.
Shotsune is almost the perfect Crane - a paragon of Honor, touched by Benten, and with immeasurable potential as a swordswoman. She bears a blade forged in the hallowed smithies of the Ashidaka vassal family, a wonder of peerless quality like its owner. Whatever path Shotsune chooses, it cannot be anything but great and glorious.
Crane Clan • Duelist • Paragon • Samurai
Glory: 5.2 Honor: Exceptional • Status: 1.5
Benten's Blessing • Small • Senior Crane Student
"Our shared clan will not stay my hand. I will prove that none know the blade like the Kakita."
Mirumoto Saiko

Post by Mirumoto Saiko »

Name: Mirumoto Saiko
Position: Senior Dragon student (Ally Influence 1)
Profile: Saiko is a hard one to understand, even for a Dragon. She arrived at the Hundred Stances Dojo during Bayushi Suke's last stint as Champion, speaking with and challenging a few of the other students in an attempt to quickly piece together the secrets of the Hundred Stances. While the contest between her and the Scorpion sensei was a close one, but in the end she lost. In her one breach of her otherwise placid on during her stay at the dojo, she angrily demanded to know how she lost, as she was certain her technique was superior to Suke's. He chided her for her outburst, then derided her overly-methodical approach to kenjutsu which disrespected the living art of the blade.
Saiko had earned enough of a reputation to remain as one of the dojo's senior students, but in truth she found herself lost, unable to understand the failings of her methodical, pragmatic approach. She no longer trains in public, seeking out-of-the-way locations or entering the dojo at unusual hours, something no one so far has seen fit to confront her about. Perhaps she will eventually learn how to overcome her weaknesses and better her technique, but many think it more likely that she'll first wear out her welcome due to her solitary ways and be urged to move along.
Dragon Clan • Kensai • Samurai
Glory: 4.3 • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0
Senior Dragon Student
"I don't understand...not yet. Is skill not enough? What more is needed?"
Matsu Hirotaro

Post by Matsu Hirotaro »

Name: Matsu Hirotaro
Position: Senior Lion student (Ally Influence 1)
Profile: The son of an Akodo father and Matsu mother, Hirotaro was trained in the War College of his father's family. Not just a skilled swordsman but bearing a talented tactical mind, upon his gempukku he was appointed as chui of one of the kaisha sent to secure the Naishou province during the three-way conflict over control of the region. He was among the leaders of the charge out of Sujuu Mura early in the war, and pitched himself headlong into every battle, determined to help lead his clan's forces to glory and victory.
Hirotaro's time in Naishou did not last long past the war, as he was called away soon after the treaty between the Crane and Lion was signed - the previous senior Lion student at the Hundred Stances Dojo was killed in a duel gone wrong - a clash with fellow student Bayushi Setsu, who many believe cheated to win and intentionally killed his rival...although no one has yet been able to prove it. Hirotaro's clear potential and his success in Naishou made him the obvious candidate to replace the fallen student, and so despite what might look on the surface to be a demotion he departed to establish himself at the dojo in the autumn following the war. After all, as Champion of the dojo, he'd soon earn a much grander position than the one he had left behind. He thought to challenge Bayushi Suke, who had been Champion when word of the Lion student's death reached Naishou, and in his victory gain a sort of revenge. Instead he arrived to find a new sensei, Doji Hariya, had claimed the position. Hirotaro has delayed fulfilling his ambitions for a moment as he gets the "lay of the land" and plots his next move, as any good commander should.
Lion Clan • Fire • Kensai • Samurai
Glory: 6.6 • Honor: Exceptional • Status: 2.4
Senior Lion Student
"Trained by my father's family, yet with the fire and rage of my mother's. Can there be any doubt that I will soon be Master Sensei?"
Tsuruchi Kinshiro

Post by Tsuruchi Kinshiro »

Name: Tsuruchi Kinshiro
Position: Senior Mantis student (Ally Influence 1)
Profile: One does not generally equate the Tsuruchi family with the art of the blade, but at the same time the Mantis are nothing if not surprising. Kinshiro has served his clan in a dozen different positions since his gempukku - scout, soldier, yoriki, and even first mate on a kobune - and he has excelled at all of them...even if his casually disrespectful nature tended to rub people the wrong way. If any quality can be said to describe him best, it would be "defiant" - after all, his choice to study kenjutsu came about as a result of too many people telling him that, as a Tsuruchi, he'd never master that honorable art. Indeed, one samurai dared to call him a coward for relying entirely on the bow, leading Kinshiro to challenge him. In the time set between the challenge and the duel, he learned all he could of the way of the sword, and at the duel cut his critic down with one merciless stroke. No one tells Kinshiro what he can and can't do.
His appearance at the Hundred Stances Dojo is, it's said, the result of his superiors in the Mantis trying to get him out of the way as much as a recognition of his mastery of techniques not normally found among his clan. Since his arrival he's been in more than his fair share of duels, the result of insults both given and received, but has yet to challenge the dojo's Champion or any of her chosen students. Instead, he has begun teaching kyujutsu in the dojo's courtyard, attempting to apply the Stances to martial arts beyond swordsmanship. This has proven quite scandalous, earning him the ire of minor sensei Shiba Danji, but true to form Kinshiro is completely uninterested in the opinions of others, especially as more and more are drawn to his impromptu classes. It's unlikely he'll ever be the dojo's Champion, or will even challenge in an attempt to earn the position...but many fear what might happen if he did.
Mantis Clan • Naval • Samurai • Thunder
Glory: 5.2 • Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.5
Senior Mantis Student
"Of course I prefer the bow, but what kind of warrior knows only one weapon?!"